Sunday 19 August 2007

ME BRIEFLY ......

It's not easy being understood as a person with learning difficulties. I was born very quickly which caused a lack of oxygen to the brain. I was hyperactive and I had epilepsy until I was twelve years old. Twenty years later my fits came back at the age of thirty one.Thirty years ago, we didn't have a lot of support for disabilties. It's still not good today but better than it used to be. I believe we still have long way to go but we always will do. We can't expect a perfect world. My family tried to fight for my rights, they thought I should have as a baby and child but it was so much more difficult 38 years ago. Disabilties were not understood as much as they are today. Sometimes we thought that many people didn't wanted to know, now I think it's about time, we learned from the past to hopefully try to bring a bright future for people with learning disabilties. Soon I am hoping to do some voluntary work at Mencap to help others overcome the difficulties that I have faced.In my following pages I hope to explain more about the difficulties myself and my family have faced whilst I was growing up.

No comments: