Saturday 13 March 2010

Introducing me and my learning disabilities.

I was born in Wolverhampton on Friday 24th October 1969 with mild Autism, Dyspraxia, Dyslexia and epilepsy.I have lived with disabilities for nearly forty-one years since I was born.

For the last three years I have been helping out with Mencap. Mencap is a charity all round UK, that support people with disabilities. Mencap also supports all different kinds of Self Advocacy groups who are groups of people with learning disabilities our selves who speak up the other people with disabilities. I am from a Self Advocacy group Called Our Shout in Wolverhampton.

One day I would like to write a book asking people without disabilities how they would cope with life their lives if they had disabilities. Here is a daft piece of writing hopefully working towards this book. I understand these things don't happen over night, could be writing this for years or not at all if I don't get the support.

PUT YOURSELF IN OUR SHOES!

The world is telling you to do with your life. The world is telling you what you can and can't have in life. The world seems to be coping better than you. The world seems to be bigger than you. This all because you have disabilities. The world only supports you with if, when and whatever it wants to be supporting you with. Very rarely it seems to be your choice. Wouldn't be nice to be able to manage just what you want to do without feeling guilty that your giving others hard work and or spending their money when it comes to funding. We know everyone needs to be paid but due to having disabilities we seem to be a guilty party of feeling as if we are putting on people's lives. Why are we feeling guilty when no human being is a machines? Everyone needs help with something but people with disabilities seem to need the most help and we are made to feel most useless.

Sometimes people without disabilities don't know when to support disabilities with and when not to. You know you can't be completely alone but you hate feeling useless. Most of the time the world is either not there for you or there for you all the time. There needs to be a balance in between these things. Even when things get better, we don't forget when things were worse. On the bright side of this people with disabilities can train people without disabilities to learn the thinking and understanding of people with disabilities. A world that is who have disabilities need to open up a new and better world of learning disabilities so life that is better than it was in than it was in the past. We need to raise awareness for the future. We cannot wave magic wounds for everything but we can make better difference than it was when our lives started.

I only wish I would have come across a person like me today when I was a young child,a teenage and even a young adult telling me that things would get better. Now I am here to tell the younger generation that you are going to get better support than what I did. You will most likely achieve what you want to, things I wanted to but there just wasn't the support. It was put a smile on my face to see you get by instead. I am not saying I haven't achieved anything but not that isn't any big deal but it might become quicker and easier for you than it was for me. I would be happy to see you happy.

No comments: