Wednesday 26 May 2010

Learning disabilities' experince with the NHS.

NHS FAILS TO ACCOMMODATE PATIENTS WITH A LEARNING DISABILITY IN SINGLE SEX WARDS.

On the 12th December 2007, I read a Mencap report on the NHS not having people with learning disabilities sleeping single sex wards in the hospital. At the time there was a debate between safety and privately, which a balance between the two. We all need to be safe but also need to be private, mainly when it comes down to washing, dressing and going to the toilet for eg;. I had a meeting with Debra Edwards who was the Patient Experience leader at that time. I told her that there needs to be a balance between the two.

Back in 1993, I had an operation on my throat because I had a mild cancer lump. At the time I had been in hospital twice at the Eye, Ear, Norse and throat hospital in Shrewsbury.
The first time I was in hospital, I was in a mixed men and womens' ward, which wasn't private and I hated it.

My Mother complained about it.
When I had to go in to hospital the second time I had a private room with a alarm so I could when I wanted to go to the toilet because I had a fall the first time I was in that hospital.

Like everyone I hate hospitals but the second time I was in that hospital was better than the first. That's balanced between been private and safe.


I never got to know what has got worse or better over this report written in 2007 because it got the stage that the hospital meetings were clashing with the Accessible information meetings.


6th December 2007

A major report published today has revealed that learning disability services are failing to accommodate inpatients with a learning disability in single sex wards.

'Count me in 2007: The 2007 national census of inpatients in mental health and learning disability services in England and Wales' found that 60% of inpatients in NHS and independent learning disability hospitals and facilities were not in a single ward.

The census is a joint initiative between the Health Care Act Commission, the Care Services Improvement Partner and the National Institute for Mental Health in England.

David Congon, Mencap's Head of campaigns policy at said "It's disgraceful that the majority of patients in learning disability services were not in single sex wards.

"By treating patients with a learning disability in mixed sex wards the NHS and independent health care providers are failing to provide a service that maintains their privacy and dignity at a time when they are most vulnerable. WWW.healthcommission.org.uk

No comments: