Monday 27 April 2009

Compton Hospice

I started doing work experience at the Compton Hospice shop in Wolverhampton in 1995, when I was 26yrs old. I was on on an Adult Training Schemes. The people there were very nice but it was not the job I wanted. They were very little jobs, very short staffed and very little support. I could not manage the tills, I was under and over pricing items.

From the age of twenty - three I wanted to be a writer, before then I did not know what I wanted to do. When I told Compton Hospice I wanted to be a writer, they let me write a report in their newsletter. It was called 'THE RIGHT IDEA FOR SARA' It was mostly about the work I was doing in the shop and telling people I wanted to be a writer. It make me feel very happy that the staff gave me a chance to write for their newsletter even though shop work has never been the work for me and never will be.

I wanted to work in a library which at that time were not any vacancies, even though my wish came round one day.

Not long after asking for work in the library, I was put on a scheme called Training For Work, I did some training at the 'Beacon For The Blind office in Wolverhampton. Yet again very few jobs and I could not complete all the jobs they ask me to do quick enough for them. I though as that job ended as one door closes another one will open. I tried many things after but only two jobs I liked before helping out with Our Shout Mencap. That was Warstones library then the office at the Employment team in Wolverhampton.

No comments: