Monday 3 June 2019

MEN-CAP'S LEARNING DISABILITY WEEK 17TH JUNE TILL THE 23RD JUNE 2019

This report is to raise awareness of disability and sport, in my case Dyspraxia sport. This is a chance for my members who face disabilities on my disability groups on facebook to raise awareness of what they face with having disabilities etc and experiences with the sport to people involved in their lives such as parents, families, carers, friends, partners, support workers, social workers, professions, etc, even people who are training or and study in the fields disabilities or all other problems.

Here's a bit about me, when I was a child there was no awareness of dyspraxia and a lot of other disabilities, learning difficulties, etc. I hated PE, in those days we had ladders and ropes which I never felt safe but I still had to do PE, even with the teachers holding on to me as I climbed the ladders. In terms of help and support, there wasn't any because no one knew anything or and very little what disabilities, etc neither did the people ourselves. The help and support I needed were physical help me get a least a bit stronger, old school ladders and ropes are not safe for people with Dyspraxia. Sports such as netball, hockey, and rounders I never coped with. I weren't too bad with throwing a ball but catching a ball I had problems with and I found it hard to keep up with speed still do.

On the positive side, I can swim but it looks like a doggy paddle and something else, I very slow but safe as long as I'm keeping an eye, but I'm not a bad or a great swimmer.

No comments: