Saturday 22 March 2008

OUR SHOUT, THE STORY OF MY LIFE.

Our Shout is a small self - Advocacy disability group funded and supported by Mencap in Wolverhampton. There are about seven of us with learning disabilities,who speak up for others like and besides ourselves, we do this off our own backs. We get involved in meetings for all difference things, we do Drama play and we don't give up until our voice is heard. We understand we can't win all the time but we do our best to improve the lives of others with disabilities in the best ways as possible. There are two more groups that I know of who are funded and supported by Mencap, Circle Of Friends that help to give people with disabilities social lives and One Voice who help people with housing, I think even independent living in the home and even shopping. Our Shout are hoping to be supported soon by Mencap to have our own Travel Buddy schemes as transport and independent travelling can be hard for people with disabilities. The Travel Buddy schemes should start to kick off January - April 2009, it will be a Social Enter Prise. If you have a disability or have contact with a person or people with disabilites who may need support in anyway, you are very welcome to contact us or if you want to support us in anyway. We can support you to support us, we are based at the Science park in Wolverhampton. Anne 01902-2824301 or Lucy 01902-2824362

May be you may you want to join us as a member of Our Shout, may be work as a volunteer or paid from Mencap. In case I'm wrong or slightly you are best to ask Mencap themselves how it works. You will have find out if they have any room to take on, vacancies in other words sorry.
We'd be very grateful for your help, if you want to and or can join us. I think you are accepted whether you have a disability or not but if you have a disability you could help and be apart of Our Shout if you want. Like I say you will have to find out from Mencap themselves to be sure. I'll be truly I can't sure that I'm right on everything that's why. It's possible, you chose to work with any or and as many issues you want. Only Mencap know the answer to that.

I have had a disability all my life, which is the same age as me nearly thirty - nine years old. My disability was born with me in the same place, at the same time. My disability has stopped with me all my life and it will go on the rest of my life. I like many others have seen so many changes for the better and worse, Some things we have improved to what they were, others aren't good enough yet and others we haven't even started to improve yet. We still have a long way to go and we always will do.

It's our job to see that non - disabled people who support people with disabilities in all services do their job to how people with disabilities want and need them to.
It's good that all things aren't good other wise it would be a boring perfect world. we wouldn't have any jobs to do.

No comments: