Thursday 20 July 2017

Dyscalculia.


What is Dyscalculia?

Dyscalculia is a learning disability that causes people to have problems with maths. These people have problems with numbers, I myself are one of those people. You can still have a normal IQ. I myself haven't been diagnosed but I will be honest I have always had big problems with numbers.
 Once I have got past counting to ten, then I get stuck so I try to work the maths out on paper or make sure I have many items to add onto my fingers. with - when it comes to borrowing write the numbers down to how many numbers I need then put the numbers the sum asks me to -. * eg; 4+4=8 2*4=8. I can't seem to do maths in my head I have to work them out on paper, which mostly with me takes a long time. There are some maths I can't even work out with a calculator but some I can, which is strange, I can't round numbers up either and I can't only have so many numbers.

It's hard to believe it has taken nearly thirty years of my life to even guess that I may Dyscalculia. In the last twenty odd years ago, this possible maths disability has affected my chances of getting a job so it's hard to know if I can get tested for Dyscalculia before I do get too, may be even if the funding is out there may be support for me to get a proper job.
Anyway going by my own experience it's a sad fact that we get these cuts coming in because people a lot younger than me with all kinds of disabilities could get better support than me.
Dyscalculia is only a problem with numbers but people can find it hard to tell the time, find it hard to tell from their left to their right, they can find orientation hard and following the rules of games. Pretty much all of those I have problems with but as years went on I strangely didn't do badly at telling the time but very slow at learning it.


These are problems people Dyscalculia but every person varies to how their problems lie.

1. Numbers lines can be hard to understand.
2.Borrowing numbers in - can hard to work out.
3.Finding it hard to work, some, most or even all maths can be for some with dyscalculia in their head.
4. Some people find it hard work out maths when they have to go past ten.
5.Difficulty using fingers counting recognizing how an answer can be to a sum like for eg; 6+4= 10. 
6. Difficulty in understanding value.
7. Some people will find it hard to calculation certain kinds of maths but could be different ones for different people.
8. Anxiety is a sense of fear and dread, Dyscalculia is more than just a weakness of maths its disability. Meaning the person with Dyscalculia a fear and dread maths but also it causes them a lot of frustration knowing they can't get easier because of lack of maths skills.
9. Dyscalculia is a sense of number blurriness, blindness, and jargon of facing numbers.
10. Spatial difficulties not good at drawing, visualization, remembering arrangements of objects, understanding time, direction.
11.Short term memory difficulties the literature to relation between these and dyscalculia is very controversial. 
12. Poor coordination of movement ( Dyspraxia).
13. Reversal of numbers this is normal development stage which all children go through and no cause to alarm it.
14. Difficulty remembering names - evidence to suggest that verbal memory has anything to do with Dyscalculia.
15. Good language skills but very poor maths skills.
16. Problems with very basic calculations as well as maths.
17. Problems with guessing and estimation numbers.
18. Inconsistent maths skills ( can do something one day but not the next.)
19. Most people find it hard to read analog clocks.
20. Some people find it hard to understand maps, many people may even get confused with right and left.
21.Most people find it hard to keep numbers in columns, then end up with the wrong answer in the sum.
22. Confusion with math concepts.

23. Most people can even have problems with words.
24. These problems can cause a lot of people Anxiety, stress to a point they burst into tears because they feel useless, helpless and fearing that they will never get anywhere career wise to a point they feel as if life isn't worth living.
25. Switching to addition while doing subtraction problem or vice versa.
26. Forgetting addition facts and multiplication.
28. Failure to remember math steps.
29.Changing sequence of numerals when copying them can be a problem for most people.

Famous people with Dyscalculia.

Henry Winkle who played the Fonz in ' Happy Days', Cher a singer, Mary tyler Moore writer and actress, Benjamin Franklin newspaper printer, writer, musician, scientist yet he was very poor at maths.
Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale story writer, Bill Gates computer creator but he has numbers coming out his ears, Thomas Edison light bulb invert er, he had problems with maths but he managed to overcome them, Luis Armand, Garcia child star, Sarah Barr able Tisha actress, Mick Hucknall who was in a pop group Simply Red, he once said ' I suffer from  Dyscalculia number blindness - I am made to feel stupid but art school opened the new world of creativity for me and I loved it, although Albert Einstein was good with his physics and his science certain part of his life he was very weak at maths but may have overcome it WWW.alberteinstensite.com. May you could find out about more famous people with Dyscalculia. 

  I myself, this is what I thought the same with my poetry and drawing even though I haven't had any luck as such with publishing. 


Causes of Dyscalculia.
Research says that Dyscalculia is caused by a result of a (brain injury). In my case, it does make sense because I was born with a very mild brain damage on the left-hand side of the brain, which has affected the left-hand side of my body as if I have had the effects of a stroke all my life but it causes me to have mild Epilepsy instead. I also say which also makes sense in my case it can link with other disabilities like Dyslexia, Dyspraxia and (ADHD). 

Other disabilities that can be caused by a mild brain damage.
There are at least 30% off of people who suffer from epilepsy ( nearly) who have mild to moderate learning disability. The more severe the learning disability is the more likely the person is to have epilepsy.

Emotional and behavior problems.
( ADHD hyperactively) is an emotional feeling of sadness. moodiness anger, which could also be linked with Anxiety and depression. This can happen any time any place any where whether there's a reason to have those emotional feelings or not, this can make a person behave anyway as possible depending how sensitive they feel. People whose disabilities started of from certain brain injuries may likely to suffer from Clinical depression like people such as myself who was born from a mild brain damage.
A sense of anger could be for eg; Someone trying to achieve a skill but they just can't without the right support, they feel angry because they are having to ask for support and they hate feeling a buron to people. Yet people who can do can do most things for themselves don't understand what it's like for those who can do least things for themselves.


No comments: