Monday 20 July 2015

Moving forward.


I was born lack of oxygen to the brain nearly 46 years ago. I had seizure from birth to 12 years old then 31 years old to 43 years old. I have got Epilepsy for sure even if I don’t have seizures for years. Due to the time I was born health professions didn’t know a lot about disabilities and health problems because of that I have never been diagnosed. During adulthood my GP had told me there is not enough funding for adults to have disabilities and health problems diagnosed. My family seem to think I have mild Autism, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia as well as Epilepsy.  My left hand side of my body is weaker than the right, causes me to have motor skills and coronation which cause my grip to be weak, I am a slow learner so are my reflexes. When I was about 2 my Mother took me to have a brain scan doctors told her that the left hand side of the brain is mildly damaged.


I myself have tried all my life trying to prove myself to get the help and support I need but very little or no proof to back me up. Until I had access to the internet which was only about ten years ago or just over, I wouldn't have be able to guess let alone know that I could have Dyspraxia and even now I don't know.


I have always known that no way would be able to get manual work but trying to prove that to the Jobcentre and employers has been a nightmare. Employers would have to see me try to see the difficulties.  Anything with the brain like raising Learning Disability and Mental Health awareness I am alright with, I am not good with maths though. Physical jobs I am no good at. 

Having disabilities and health problems diagnosed is important because when people have got proof of what disabilities and health they have got, it should help professions to know what support people need to live their lives. Such as what help they would need at home, getting out and about, education and work in order for them to live their lives the same as other people but I guess as my gp said there is just not the funding.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpU5FucWn3Q2q-vi0l7tZ1g
http://healthcaresolutionsplus.org/9-things-not-to-say-to-someone-with-a-brain-injury/

No comments: