Thursday 12 May 2016

A lot of us spend years fighting for our career.


Most of us have worked hard to get where we are today?

Due to my Dyslexia this needs to be put in a shorter way, it's just an idea for a journal anyway.

I left school at the age of 16 not really knowing what I was good and bad at. Due to a poor education at school I was totally unsure what I wanted to do. This left me feeling useless for everything and wondering why I was on the planet if that's the case but no one should have to feel that way.  Little could I see in a matter of a month or two I achieved my first certificate  RDA, Riding For The Disabled Grace 1 when I started at the Camnant Center New Town Powys Wales, which was a living in riding stables where I did my work and education all in one. I liked some parts of it but not others and all rest was history. Not all parts of my career has been black and white but it's never been as positive as it's been for the past nine years which I don't want to lose it.
I was sent on a lot of placements through such government schemes as Y.T.S and put on the wrong work placements with very little no support. 
Employers and staff had very little or no knowledge and understanding of learning disability and health problems.
It took from when I was 16 till I was 37 the career what was right for me, which was Royal Wolverhampton Mencap at the time. I was a member the Our Shout Public Advocacy from 2007 to 2011. Mencap used to sent us the University Of Wolverhampton Walsall Campus to act out our experiences of health care to the Student Learning Disability nurses. In 2011, the government cut the funding on the Our Shout project and sadly I was out of a career for 12 months, which was a huge affect on my Anxiety and Depression to a point my GP referred me to Healthy Minds because I felt as if I wasn't go to get through it.
In March 2011, I started working for 1 Voice, which a private Advocacy group for people with disabilities and health problems, I did a bit of basic Admin before I became an Advocate but during that time I was starting to work with the University by taking part with the interview and been part of the Expert Patients with the Success group and then three years later I became a Visting Lecture with the great support of Lynne, Steve, Mick, Jim and Sean who are not just great support to me but great people to work with so are the people I work with with the success group as well as the Learning Disability Team. 

With all what's going on the EU, I and many others like me are worried about losing my jobs they have because of being disabled and even our education as well. I and many others like me don't find this voting with the EU accessible can someone tell me honesty whether do we vote in or out in hopes of keeping my job?

We want move forward in time not back.
Many would say people with disabilities and health problems are a health and safety hazard in the work place.
If we are in the jobs we enjoy, what we are good at and what we can manage less support are going to need and less of a health and hazard we are. We are more of a health and safety hazard to our selves if we are at home just look at the four walls than we are having a career. However due to the fact that there are so many disabilities and health problems, I understand most people could disagree with me because everyone's thought are different.
There must be many of you who can share the same if not much experience as me, if so please feel free share your story and experience with me. How many of those with disabilities, health problems and so many people are different. Most people like me are hoping the EU will not cause us to lose our job.

About my career.


I am not saying everyone with disabilities and health problems should have same job as me just because the idea is to help other people understand from a person with learning disability's point what it like. Everyone should have their own choice of career so should people with disabilities and health problems. However' I am not saying this because it's the job I enjoy and that it is important to raise awareness and speak up for the rights of disabilities and health problems. We know that even other people cannot get their rights met either but people with disabilities and health problems do not get our rights met mostly because of our disabilities and health problems. Without the Awareness and Advocacy society would only see the weak part of us not the strong because we probley wouldn't have a chance to prove our strong parts so therefore thanks to Awareness and  Advocacy that proves people with disabilities and health have stenghts and weaknesses in us just like everyone. This job means so much to me so I can make the best difference to learning disability and health problems the best way I possibly which mostly doesn't work because of how much work the government can be but that doesn't stop me wanting to do the job I doing though, which is why my job means so much to me.  

http://greatbritishcommunity.org/resources/disability/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw9tW5BRDk29KDnqWu4fMBEiQAKj7spxwLyqoCawWg9Es7BtvoYKbVrzT-JcKoCepazZ5ybp8aAuj68P8HAQ

Why is it important for people with disabilities and health problems to keep or and career we are good at, we can manage and we are safe to do? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc_K9c24R5o

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sara, you write with a passion and integrity that many fail to match.
Just look back at what you have achieved over the years. You are a shining example of keeping going and never giving up. Ian xx