Monday 18 January 2021

Cancer storyline.

 When I was a small child from when I was about five to seven years of age back in the 1970s, my Mother felt a very small lump in my throat, which was a size of a pea. My Mum very concerned but I wasn't because it wasn't bothering me in any way at the time. 

My mother took me to the doctors, they said at the time was best left because they didn't know what it was and they were concerned that it may have given problems at the time if they did anything. 

Many years later when I was about twenty - three I was on work experience at an elderly people's home. During my lunch hour, I was eating strew in the staff room and struggled to swallow the meat which was when I started to get concerned.

At the time I was sharing a flat with two young women with learning disabilities similar to myself so I told my support worker at the time and I told my Mother. The support worker came with me to the doctor checked me to find a lump there and they said they would write to the hospital and I should hear soon. Within a few weeks, months, etc I cannot remember, it was back in the early 90s I got a letter to tell me when I can come into hospital. I came in as if nothing was wrong with me. I had my operation the next day, I was in the hospital for a week and out for Xmas 92.

 I had an appointment in the January of 1993  to be told it was cancer, I needed to have some limp glands out, then I was back in the hospital, after another two weeks in the hospital next appointment I was told I had to have fifteen of days Radiophapy. I found the treatment made me feel more unwell than cancer with not sleeping, feeling sick, and a mouthful of month allcels. Lucky for me the type of cancer I had it didn't spread to any other part of my body. Back then to be honest I found it hard to understand because in those days we were only aware of such illnesses as cancer and stroke in the elderly. 

Just to say I haven't written my story to be felt sorry for I have raised awareness of my experience to hopefully help others not to cope alone. If you are facing the same or anything similar you know someone who is, please do not suffer alone. Please see a doctor etc. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/ https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/information-and-support https://www.supportline.org.uk/problems/cancer/



No comments: