Tuesday 11 October 2022

Borderline Dyslexia

 Borderline Dyslexia.

 

What is Borderline Dyslexia? Borderline Dyslexia is when someone struggles with finding the right words to form a sentence. Someone who finds it hard to pronounce, say read, and spell certain words.   Facing problems in understanding or understanding what's being taught. Where the person can read but face difficulties along the way, like not remembering what the reading was about after they have read it. For me, it was a huge struggle through my school years but started to improve in my young adult  and never completely goes away.

 However,’ not straight away, it took at least two, or three years after, once I was taken off a certain medication for Epilepsy, my learning, etc started to improve as when I was getting close or had left school. This certain Medication called Pheabaretone, slowed me down a lot but also made me very hyperactive to the point when I came off the medication, I had 0 energy, which still is today.

 As a child I had no danger awareness, and no sense of direction when trying to find places, even now I can only get to a limit of places without support, couldn’t focus on school, etc but learned more out of school than in and left school with nothing to show for myself. Medications are something to look into as well as the problems themselves, where either one or both could be causing the negatives but these days there should be more areas to support them.   - Poor reading ability. Are there different types of dyslexia? (readandspell.com) Dyslexia - Symptoms - NHS (www.nhs.uk)  What is dyslexia? - British Dyslexia Association (bdadyslexia.org.uk)

Not being able to read what you read can lower your exam marks fail you etc.  It may not always help, it is understood no one can support you through exams but they should be able to through studying. As for exams in my experience large print writing and questions close to the text as possible.

  • Phonological Deficit
    Difficulty decoding or assembling words based on their sounds. Note that phonemic awareness is not a reading deficit per se since it involves only sounds and not letters. 
  • Speed/Naming Deficit
    Slow reading; poor use of sight words. A sight word is a word that is instantly recognized by the reader; is not sounded out and requires almost no effort to understand.

·         Comprehension Deficit
Poor understanding of what was just read.  The Types of Dyslexia: What to Know (verywellhealth.com) Special needs: Defining and understanding the 4 types - Care.com Resources   Learning difficulties | Mencap

 

 

 

 

No comments: