Friday 27 May 2022

Researching the life of the poet John Keats

 

Birth and family.

John Keats was born in London on the 31st of October 1895, he was the eldest of five children. All were born to Thomas Keats and France Jennings. His father was a stable keeper. In 1804, Thomas Keats died from falling off his horse.  France did remarry but died of tuberculosis in 1810.

John Keats went to school in Enfield London. He school at sixteen then became a surgeon until 1816, then moved on to poetry. However,’  he wrote his first poem in 1814, and his first book of poems in 1817.


 John looked after his youngest brother Tom who became ill with tuberculosis in 1818, then died in the December of that year. It was round about the same time though that John moved with his Charles Brown, into a house in Hampshire. Then he met and fell in with Fanny Brawne.

 

 

 

 

John Keats’ poem,  

John Keats’ poems were The Eves of St Ange’s, La Belle Dame San Merci’ and more.

From September 1818, John started writing very few poems due to his health and money. At the same time though, John got engaged to Fanny. Marriage was on the cards, but they could not affront it.

John went to Italy, and Rome with his friend Joseph Severn, in hopes of improving his health, which did not work, then John died on 23rd February 1821.

Despite John’s short life, my research is not over, there are a lot of unanswered questions the world may want to know. Although, we know a lot of negatives in John’s life does not mean there were not any positives, let’s not give up. However,’ his poetry was very talented. We need to understand that most of his life probably had an impact on his mental health, whereas back in those days neither he nor others he knew were probably not aware so therefore there was no real support. There was not any emotional support or counseling.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Reasons why I am writing about John Keats.

 

My reason for writing about John Keats is because I discovered him and his work most unexpected twenty – years ago as an English student, when in that time period, I was only a year or two years older than John was in his time period, I would say roughly, twenty – six to seven. I happened to come across one of his books of poems in the college library. At that time myself, I was facing emotional and mental health issues. Unexceptly, I found myself not only studying his work, but he inspired me to create poems myself.

I have concerned that John may have been misunderstood for being a negative person, but I may be wrong. Sorry to anyone who I may offend. The reason why I said what I said was because mostly what we are aware of is that his life was most unlucky.   I believe his life may not be all black and white, it is not fair to judge a book by its cover. Only that he just happened to be unhappy in the time was alive but there possibly may have been positive we don’t know as neither of us in the 19th century, not many in the last were even born when John Keats was alive. We will never know how John’s life would have been if would have lived longer so I say the same for those who faced the same if not similar.

The positives I see in Keats without himself knowing it and, despite him not having been on the earth for 201 years, he has still managed to cure my mental health and helped me create my poems. Call me crazy everyone but John, I cannot thank you enough, despite I am not published.

 

 

 

Let’s not judge a book by its cover.

I believe his mental health, what he faced with most of his family had died, did not help matters. Just in case anyone is wondering, let’s not think that was the luck of life was either part of or the cause of his death, the main cause of his death was tuberculosis but other negative things sure I guess did not help his mind. Therefore, I guess poetry was his own way of coping with what was happening at the time, although if there was the romance between himself and Fanny, I would guess that was his positive in life, even though no one would know the outcome if he would have lived longer.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It is unknown to what happened between John Keats and Fanny Brawne.

I read in the late 90s when I first discovered John Keats and his work. John had concerned that Fanny had eyes for another man, whether she did or not I cannot remember if I read that or not. Whether or not there was a short romance between John and Fanny, he asked her out she turned him down, went with him, or he had feelings for her, not said anything, just wrote letters and poems about her, etc I can’t remember for sure but something along those lines. I have tried to study his life on and off in the past twenty–five years but just this latterly I have watched documentaries etc saying John and Fanny met and got together with Fanny in 1818, after his brother Tom died, they got engaged and stopped together until John’s death. I do not believe anyone is lying but to the time period, it was to so many who have lived and died since no one knows for sure. All the same, I still would not give up researching as long as I am alive. https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/228671668.pdf

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This a poem I wrote for John Keats and Fanny Brawne, 1996 to 1967.

 

TO FANNY BRAWNE LOVE FROM JOHN KEATS.

My future is very dark without you, I can't see the light of life at all.
I don't have any happiness to look forward to without you at all.
I don't have love inside me for anyone but you.
Fanny, you are the sweetest girl of all.
I want to hide away from life, I can't live any longer without you.
Without you my dear I can't think very clearly.
People don't like the fact that my feelings are so strong towards you.
They told me that you'll hurt me, yes you did when I caught you making eyes at another man yet I still foolishly love you all the same.
People think I should get on with my life maybe they are right.
My feelings are here for you that I can't help.
Can I face tomorrow without tears?
Fanny if you want me to stay alive please give me your love. 1996 – 1997

 

John Keats was the first poet I could relate to because he experienced in his time nearly the same as what I experienced in my time. All the love letters he wrote to Fanny Brawne, and I think what she wrote to him were in his coffin with him.


https://englishhistory.net/keats/fanny-brawne/

 

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: