Tuesday 26 December 2023

Poetry book three

Revealed My poems

              By Sara Jane Gorman 

Interduction to all types of poetry 



Introduction

My name is Sara Jane Gorman, disabilities, 

mental health, and other problems from birth. 

I have been writing since I was twenty – 

three years old and now nearly fifty - four but not much luck with publishing due to my disabilities.

I have been writing poetry since I was twenty – 

seven even though I wrote my first poem when I was twenty – 

three otherwise I wrote a bit on my autobiography 

and a few stories that are not successful. 

I started writing to help me through 

recovering from and having treatment for

 cancer of the throat at the age of 23 

and the poetry started through having a 

mental break down over a bad relationship 

break up at a time when I was 27, that I am well over now.









Dear Readers


Note from the poet.

I have spent about 13 years writing poetry. 

Here are the poems I have written over the years. 

Some things I find hard to say in voice to the outside world. 

Sometimes it's hard to put down on what's going through 

one's mind. I do my best to say what I mean, if you know what I mean.

Like us all there has been times than I have found life hard. 

My mind is not always meant to be like it should. 

With me having a writer's block there are also times

 that I can say too much. 

We all have good and bad times in life so 

this my time to explain the good and bad times I have.

I have also explained the different feelings 

I have had in my life towards different

 people I know and I have explained 

their feelings towards me. 

Like many of us there has been different stages

 of my life that have changed but somethings

 have come back again, 

gone again and so on.When I started writing I 

thought a lot of my feelings would stay the

 same in different things in my life but how 

wrong was I? That's the way life goes.

S.J Gorman 1996 to 2009



HOW I STARTED WRITING.


I started writing in 1993, when I was twenty -

 three to twenty - four yrs old. 

I was recovering from cancer of the throat. 

I was staying at my Grandmother's house. 

I was watching the 10.00pm news. 

They were talking about the council homes closing down. 

I thought to myself, 

where are disabled and old people going to go? 

It worried me a lot.

I was messing around with my paper and

 pen thinking about what to write. 

I just made of messy notes but I've forgotten 

what I wrote. 

Suddenly I started thinking about

 Charles Dickens who wrote about children

 who were Orphans, which started to give me ideas.

The subjects I have always feel strongly about

 are animals and human beings in need, 

I always feel even more strongly about people

 with learning disabilities.

With having communication problem,

 I found it hard to explain and express my self. 

My Mother encouraged me to start writing my autobiography, 

which still isn't finished today. 

I have just gone back and to because I have had 

so many other things to do. 

Writing has helped me to be understood

 but than I used but I still have a long way to go.


WRITING MY LIFE STORY.

So many months after I started writing,

 I made a start on writing my autobiography along with a few short stories that I didn't think they were good.

 I called my autobiography Introducing

 Myself. It needs it checking over and proof reading. 

I'm sorry to say, it needs a lot of proof reading because of the lack of support I have had with my dyslexia.

 The thought of having it published would 

be great but I need loads of support to get it right. 

By me writing about my experiences

 of having a disability in my autobiography, hopefully

 I will raise money and awareness to improve 

the lives of people with disabilities and

 I hope that support will get better in the future.

I would also like to introduce myself to my readers,

 I don't like leaving my readers in the dark about 

what I'm writing about. Sometimes I may bring

 a twist in the tale in some stories for readers

 to make their minds what happens need, 

which hopefully can help other writers. 

I'm interested in writing about all difference 

kinds of subjects really as well as around 

learning disability awareness.


ABOUT MY POEMS.

You may wonder why I write about love a lot in my poetry. 

I started writing poetry in 1997 at the age of 27 nearly 28. 

My relationship had broken up with 

Anthony very badly at that time.

Not every poem is only about Anthony, 

there are poems about many other friendships

 and relationships too, other topics.

 ( The good and the bad times.)




A LITTLE MORE ABOUT MY PAST EXPERIENCE 


In the past I have had a poem published 

in each of about eleven books. Lost Love 1998, 

I Love You, Do you Love Me? 1998,

 The Homeless Youngest's Mind 1999, 

Crying Out For Love, 2000,

 I Love My Man and He Loves me 2000, 

There Are So Many Lonely People 1998,

 This Is A Real World Not A Dream World 1999, 

Good Friendship 2000, 

Guilty And Hiding Away From The Truth 2000, 

My Longest True Love 1999 

and My Life Without You 2002.

I did work experience at Compton Hospice 

Charity shop near where I live in Wolverhampton. 

I wrote a small report in their newsletter. 

The report was called WRITE IDEA FOR SARA, 

which I wrote October 1995 when I was 26 years of age.

In the mid 1990s I wrote a Newsletters for a

 disability social club called

 ' The Happy Society, which I enjoyed.'

 The Happy Society didn't turn 

out as happy as it sounds.

 I don't know if it's still going 

but the guy who ran it charged 

us too much money, so at least I left 

I don't know about the rest.

I have also passed four 

exams in Creative writing, 

Creative communication 

Level one, Away

 with Words Entry Level 3, 

Level one and Level 2.

One day I was walking along

 Bliston college library, 

looking at poetry books 

without planning to. 

Suddenly I found myself 

reading John Keats poems,

 his work was connected with 

what I was going through at the time.

 I studied his worked and wrote my own poems, 

which helped me learn how to come to terms

 with my break down over my relationship at that time. 

When I think about it now I shouldn't have

 taken it as hard

 as I did but If I didn't, I question 

would I have written poetry? 

To be truthful, I don't know.

I do write about other things but I sent a lot 

of work off to publishers, they chose my love poems. 

The publishers I used was Poetry Now. 

They wanted me to write about people

 homeless at Christmas, 

so i wrote The Youngest Mind, 

which isn't not about me, it's about 

what could be going through the minds of 

homeless people not just at Christmas but all year round.

These poems haven't just been written. 

my last poem was published in 2002 

and first was published 1998.

 I haven't given up poetry, I just haven't

 had luck with publishing since my first 

publishers charged too much.

The purpose for of this document is due to 

concerns of mental health and suicide  

since the Covid 19 and cost of living 

crisis people are and have been facing.

 Before getting to the point let’s look into 

what is mental heath and what is suicide. 

I am writing  all types of poems including 

on my experience on mental health during in

 lockdown before and after.

I have read on the bcc news website that 

many people in the Uk have been calling

 up places for mental health support and only

 getting answer phone, it takes ages or

 not all to get a reply here’s  why is,

  high  it’s very concerning.  

Search engine in mental health NHS Crisis

 lines failingHelpGuide.org

How we feel and is not easy always for us to

 talk about, depending on us, what it is eternity, 

more reasons or no reasons etc.  

not everyone opens up and no one is forced to, 

some people say sooner than others, others not at all.

The worse thing is forcing people to talk.

 However’ mental health well mental illness 

can be serious if not being supported or and treated. 

It is not always the case for everyone and everything, 

risk may or may not happen depending on the situation,

 person and even more.

What  is the difference between

 mental health and mental illness?

On the  whole we should all be aware  

there is a difference between mental

 health and mental illness.

 Where mostly mental health is good 

mental health where you are thinking, feeling,

 reacting, behaving, etc mostly positive.

 Whereas mental illness is completely the opposite meaning

  negative, but on both ways is not always the case with

 everyone depending on the person, situations they are facing,

 other reasons or no reason at all. 

Not everyone is down to mental illness or even

 mental health even but it is a big part how  

a lot of us if not all of us are.

It is well worth tapping in your search

 engine all types of mental illnesses where is

 such mental illnesses as anxiety, depression and more, 

which may help you understand how

  most people can be affected.


Another thing to search engine treatment 

and support for mental illnesses such as medication, 

therapy etc.


Just to remember though not 

everything helps everyone etc.  

Also everyone find it easy to to talk

 their mental health etc, in some people’s

 cases it maybe cause  of people’s reactions, 

they may not want to tell strangers eve if they are

 counselors etc or and others may not want to 

family, friends etc meaning those they do knows. 

There could be many other reasons too etc.

Although, there is a lot more awareness than 

there was there is never enough. 

Not everyone talk and no is forced or felt shamed 

not talk but all same nothing likely to sorted if

 nothing is said, even nothing completely promised 

if said but it is at least aware.

How people seem how they feel maybe the 

opposite but not the case everyone again

 depending on the person, situation and 

maybe or and even nothing at all, which may vary.

Most people tend to think those of us who mental

 illness that we are negative all the time, 

which is not true, not with most of us anyway. 

A smile, laugh etc is neither a lie or fake, it is a 

concern of your reaction or and whoever is 

communicating,

 maybe a way of the person trying to cope, 

manage etc. 

Again not the case for everyone.

For example; a lot famous people such as comics, 

like say Tony Hancock who made people laugh 

because he showed his happy side  was shown to

 us but behind closed doors he was feeling opposite

 in whatever way, whatever reason or no reason,

 which in the case of fame could be such things as

 press stress but maybe not or both such say maybe 

family stress but we should not judge what we don’t know,

 even the mental illness it’s self, it is not a laugh or joke,

 some how he took his own life.


Not saying it was the case in Tony Hancock’s case 

but no one should have fear being understood

 by others not that everyone misunderstands.https://sararevealed.blogspot.com/



Writer's block.


If you want to do a piece of writing and your stuck for

 ideas what to write, here are ideas that may or may not interested you.


May be you would like to write about a place or a town

 that means something to you.


architecture, traffic, gardens and the atmosphere.


The neighborhood and local characters that make the atmosphere.


A building in the town that interests you for whatever reasons. 


It could be an old picture house, town hall, church or shop.


Smells, colors and noises.


It may be the country side, landscape, hills wood and etc.


Seaside place you like noises, smells and etc.


It can be set at any time and at place anywhere.

 ( past present or even something you may picture for the future.)

 From say millions of years ago to what's happened just this minute.


I moved back to Wolverhampton from Shorpshine 

and Wales 17 yrs ago. 

I was on an adult training scheme which was based 

in Low hill, Fall ens park Wolverhampton. 

To find the place was a big maze going through 1st 

Avenue, 2nd Avenue and etc.


 The strange thing was I just started writing yet 

without even hearing about the poets such as Keats,

 Wordsworth and all them there were roads in Fall 

ens park named after them.


In 1997, I had a very bad relationship break up just as a

 lot of us do. 

I was a student at the time studying creative 

writing and English. During lunch break after a

 lot of study in the library.

I started looking at the poetry books 

without thinking about it.

 I picked John Keats I didn't put down 

until the end it inspired me that much.

He wasn't going through anything much 

to what I was going through at the time.

Before I read his poems, I thought I was the

 only one going through pain.

 When I finished reading I found myself 

having to write, I felt as if so many things 

that were going through my head, I hadn't said. 

When I started writing little did I realize

 my work would turn into poet, this was when 

I started to feel as if things were coming

 off my mind and that I was slowly on 

the mend moving on from my failed relationship.

Due to how my disability used I was slowly 

learning managed to take information in.

I knew it connected with what I was going 

through but it was one of early stages of my writing career.

I had a poem written in each of 11 books

 by a publishers called Poetry Now but my

 Mother thought they had ribbed me off.

 I haven't had any luck with publishing since

 then due to a lack of support. 

The poems that I

 did have published on are on this website but

 I started this website in 2007 so it will mean you 

looking through three years of work I have done on here.

Here are some possible topics you may

 be interested in case you want to write today

, any time or day. You can write about yesterday's

 topic if you want, you don't have to follow this in 

order if you don't want. You don't have to go along 

with what I say at all, it's there in case it helps you. 

You don't even have to join the writer's group if don't want.

May be you may want to write about who

 and or what inspired you to write.

Creating your own superhero, someone

 who brings out the good.

Someone who saves yours or Someones live.

It can be fiction or non - fiction, true is non -

 fiction not true is fiction for those who don't know that. 

Write a lonely hearts report.

Write something about learning disability, 

other races and it's history. 

At the moment I am reading the diary of Anne Frank.

 She would have been two years older than my Grandmother. 

They were both children in world war 2. 

The war broke out when my Nan was eight, 

she told me about it when I was eight, 

which I didn't understand at first due to my disability.

 As much as I understood that the men died in

 the war and that we wouldn't have been born if it

 wouldn't have been for them.

 This is the reason why people wear poppies. 

Nan put a poppy on my coat and said.


" This isn't just a flower but a flower of memory." 


Wars are hard times for everyone but

 If Nan had it as bad as Anne Flank, 

the rest of my family and myself

 wouldn't be here today.

 When I read Anne Flank's diary I think of my

 Nan, as if she was writing a diary because

 I remember her telling me what growing 

in the war was like. I don't think Nan had time

 to keep a diary when she had to look after

 her seven brothers and sisters while my 

great Grandparents were working. 

My Nan was the eldest of eight. 

Saying that my Nan loved her reading, she'd knit

, watch telly, do the crossword,

 keep an eye on us the Grandchildren

 at the same time. I thought I could get away

 with been naughty, little did I know that Nan

 had eyes at the back of her head.

Today we have computers, 

Mobile phones, washing machines,

 inside toilets and etc.

 There was none of that back then.

 We moan about today's cutback but

 for eg; having to go to toilet outside must have been worse. 

As for the cutbacks,

 I think we have been a bit too greedy with too much IT,

 which they didn't have.

 For eg; it's easy access for us today get help 

with our sums where as one time we used to have to use our brains.

 It's now becoming a lazy world, 

we don't know how lucky we are in someways

 but in another ways we are unlucky because a

 lot of the hard times made us stronger

 people as grow ups strong to 

life in a lot of ways.

 For eg; learning to understand

 right from wrong.

War is a nasty thing, we are all human

 at the end of day.

 People understand we can't have

 it all easy otherwise wouldn't be strong but race

 make us all different people.

If we were all the same it would a boring

 world.Some things people are born to be, 

other things people choose to be,

 let's not hold these things against them and

 give them the same rights as everyone in the world.

 Most people may need support to have their choices,

 for eg; people with learning disabilities, 

where there's a will there's a way 

without taking away peoples' chooses away.

Everyone should have equal rights.

 Every person is a human beings, 

the likes of Hitler shouldn't have 

taken people's rights and lives away from them.

May be you could write a bit of history on

 any topic you want to write about. 

It may be worth looking into your 

family history if that cornets with

 what your writing about, your choice.

What I have learned from this long

 week at Penn Hall school is how to

 please children when they are reading stories. 

Every child had to create their superhero and story,

 I just had to put it into the story. 

I wasn't only adult with disabilities who worked with the children, 

there adults with all kinds of creative abilities who interested

 the children to their talents too. 

It was a great experience for me, 

I hope it was a great experience for the children.

 I found Monday morning,

 may be it was the Monday morning blues with the teenage six form.

 I had to go through the hows, wheres, 

whats, whys and etc to help them 

create their superhero stories in an easy way as possible,

 we got there in the end, 

which was no more hard than the other artists had to go through.

 They didn't seem to understand the

 differences between real life and protein, 

I also told them that fiction can be based on truth. 

It's all confusing in different ways but a lot of 

us were taught like weren't we? 

The main thing was they tried their best and did really well, 

I can really enjoy it and I hope they did. 

Having had learning disabilities 

myself I can relate to how my understanding 

was at that age it wasn't that much different to there's. 

Even though I'm older now than

 I wasn't then I haven't forgotten 

if even thought I have bettered myself over the years, 

well I hope I have anyway.

What we all have learned in life that not all of us can get on, 

some situations you may come across in work, school, 

college and etc. 

The hardest part was getting to see that in class or work you don't show what's outside. 

For eg; if one child couldn't get along 

with the other they thought they could show that in their work. 

Their teacher even said they find it hard 

to understand team work and it's not fare 

on the others who are working with 

them when there's an unhappy atmosphere. 

As I have said On this website is that I 

have been writing since I was 23 yrs of age, now 54.

. The great thing was I started to learn to take in what I 

was reading so I was slowing learning to teach 

myself to pick up something to read a bit more.

 Before hand when I tried to read anything the

 print was too hazy for me or

 I read it but then found it hard to take it in before

 I put down whatever I was reading. 

I understand why I haven't had a 

great of luck with publishing because

 I haven't known how to please my reader, 

it's very hard when you don't see your

 readers looking at your work. 

Having Said that even most experience 

people in talents can't always please 

their publishers or whoever brings 

them out to be known in this world or not in the case may be. 

The real shame is when no one

 discovers how talented someone is until they die.

 It's a real shame when someone doesn't 

see the stand out of the hard work they have done.


If there's anyone does agrees with

 what I say may be you will agree that a 

writer's group may be a great to find out 

what your readers like and don't like.

 Not everyone whose a reader is a 

writer so may be there should be a 

reader's group for non writers as well as 

writers to find out what the non writers 

like as well as writers like and

 dislike from their writers. 

Sorry if I have confused things there. 

One of the great things about the Internet 

is you can do you reply to someones work or 

you can reply to each others' work. 

This could be a great way of trying to 

helping one another or help a writers to 

know what their readers like to read.


Reading to a point that you have big 

interest in reading, taking in what you read to

 get your ideas to write. As long as you understand

 that your can't copy of someones work.

 It helps when Your stuck on ideas or and 

on topic to write about, 

if their work interests you. 

You can be inspired by someone

 who has the same talent as you, 

normally someone who writes

 about the same topic as you.

 You can inspire new people work and 

they can even inspire even if your talent

 has been going on longer than theirs,

 this where I think talent is a wonderful thing 

and getting together as a group in your work is

 a great way of getting know one another.

 Some people learn quicker than others for eg; 

someone who hasn't learned about talent 

not as long as you may have learned something 

very quickly what you didn't and 

should have known a long time ago. 

Never feel ashamed about that because 

different teachers have different 

teaching skills and they know about at 

different times and some things one never knows.


Hello e


No comments: