Tuesday 1 November 2022

Dyslexia awareness.

 Writing.

 

 

 

Most people think people with Dyslexia cannot read and write, which is not the case, we just may think, write, see things the wrong way round, letters, words, etc maybe not in the right places etc. We may miss things out such as letters, words, sentences etc but it is not always the case of everyone. What we think may make sense in minds not necessary make sense to other people down on paper. This tends to lose us marks in exams etc, which is where the help comes in, even though we know someone else cannot do test for us but read the questions out etc but help us with our studying etc. This I never got in school, but I did in college in some courses. Dyslexia tends to affect handwriting and we can make more mistakes than other people but on the positive side we can be rather talented come up with good ideas but without the right help it doesn’t always come out to make sense to the world.

We can go through loads of paper etc until we can get something good enough for others to understand but this can vary as every person is different. Dyslexia like all problems really are not all negative we have strengths too. 

 

 

Reading.

I cannot speak for anyone else who faces Dyslexia but even when I was a child and now, when I see small print, which can  cause headaches and dizziness, when trying to forus etc.  It is as if words are jumping off the page, which puts me off from reading a book etc. In fact, in the past, I have so far, and the bookmark would be still in the book however long after or forever. One thing my grandmother found hard to understand by me is and I am not surprised in the slightest as I did not really understand myself to be honest, how, and why I could not stick to the reading as a whole, which never really achieved until I was in my late teen's early twenties I guess and even then. My Gran used to take me to the library from the age of eight etc and tried to encourage me to read as she used to go to the library from the age of eight when the second world war broke out.

 I do not think I have read many books in my life that I have thought I enjoyed. Some things I need to go back to. Lack of comprehension is an awkward thing to understand, it’s the same with tv where you enjoy an easy take an interest while you’re watching or reading but do not really remember once it is over, which can be embarrassing.

However,’ this can depend on the layout of the book, etc, if the book is accessible as well as naturally interesting it’s very likely the person may well not only stick to it to the end but even possibly remember the story.

Also, my concentration can be easily affected by for example someone talking, a phone ringing, door knocking, etc.

 Dyslexia is not an illness or condition; it is a learning disability and difficulty. You may well be quick and slow in different ways compared to other people.  Dyslexia is an education problem but also a talent and gift in different people in different ways similar to Autism too. Some people may be creative in such things as arts, and crafts, poetry, writing, drawing, painting, etc.

Such things in reading, writing, and speaking may come out wrong such as PS and qs the wrong way round, Ms and ns, bs and ds, etc. Also, numbers such as 21 and 12.  Think of Morgan and Wise as the right keys but in the wrong order.

Most of us may have what you call memory blocks, finding it hard to spell certain words, etc, but very often misunderstood for being a dump, clumsy, poor, and lazy, etc which those sorts of words our head too much isn’t good to encourage us to get to a point we think we have no positives in us, which is not true, in most ways different strengths to other people.

Most of us benefit from better one to one face to face help, which not sure about others similar to me but the Covid lockdown made that hard as everyone was having to distance themselves from one another, health, and safety-wise, it was a wise thing to do even though we did not want to stop our lives.

I have never been able to work out maths in my head, where it was beyond me and still is really if the answer is any more than ten when you only have ten fingers on your hand, well five on each sorry lol! I hated maths and still do.

As a small child, I had a big thing about clocks, where I saw five past twelve for eg, in my mind was one past twelve.

I used to get confused with left and right.

I have mostly coped with small family help, which is still the case now even more so as I live on my own. It has taken a lot of years to get where I am today. I do not need someone coming 24.7 or every day but maybe once a week at least.

As a child and teenager, to the way I was and the way others saw me, I never knew why and how to control everything that made me misunderstood.

I learn like everyone else just slower and with the right help.

I believe being diagnosed probably helps you and others to understand you and to know what the right help is for you.

I could have done with counseling as a child, which was not around back then.

 

 

 

 

Signs of Dyspraxia.

Not a very good posture

Unbalanced, struggling with movement

Poor hand and wrist coordination, very little strength, and grip.

Struggling to learn new skills

Struggling to plan and organize

Untidy handwriting, hands ache after so long of writing, we tend to use the keyboard mostly.

Differently in grooming and housework.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Types of dyspraxia.

·         Verbal (or motor) dyspraxia.

·         Constructional dyspraxia - this is to do with spatial relationships.

·         Ideational dyspraxia - affects the ability to perform coordinated movements in a sequence.

·         Ideomotor dyspraxia - affects organizing single-step tasks.

·         What are the three types of dyspraxia?

·         The different types of dyspraxia – verbal, oral, and motor – appear differently. Across the three types of dyspraxia, symptoms can include: struggling to produce clear, fluent speech or to say particular words or phrases. difficulty with fine motor skills like handwriting or tying shoelaces

 

The positive side of Dyspraxia.  

People with Dyspraxia are good at thinking ahead and problem–solving. We are highly motivated and creative in different ways, which may depend on the type of Dyspraxia we have.

 

No comments: