Tuesday 1 November 2022

INTERDUCING MYSELF, DISABILITY, MENTAL HEALTH, AUTISM, CAREER AND LIFE BY SARA JANE GORMAN

 Abstract

The causes of disabilities and mental illness. Type of disabilities and mental illness. A-Z Topics | Mental Health Foundation How disabilities and mental illness affect lives. How disabilities and mental illness can be supported.


Ever since school, I have enjoyed English, making up, and authoring stories ever since, which doesn’t make a lot of sense really.

During the nineties when I was in my twenties, without me realizing Mental health increased a lot from having Cancer when I was twenty – three to having a Mental breakdown at twenty - seven. Without realizing I was slowly easing myself with writing.

This is about where I was born, and from, my family, school, career, etc.

Also, I have written for those who work, study, want to, train, learn, qualified in learning disabilities, mental health, and other problems and to help those who face disabilities, mental health other problems. This could be parents, carers, help workers, teachers, tutors, employers, Advisers,  Mentors, doctors, nurses, the people themselves, etc.


Introduction to Myself, Learning disability, Autism, Mental health, and my career

WRITE AN IDEA FOR SARA

 

 Types of disabilities and mental illness, when how, and causes.


History of disability and mental health

 Support needed for disability and mental health


Sara Revealed

It’s not easy being understood when you have a learning disability, or even making yourself heard. I am writing this blog to show how my disability affects my day-to-day life and what help & support I need. https://sararevealed.blogspot.com/


Interduction. My name is Sara Jane Gorman, I am fifty – three years old. I am a Visiting Lecture of Learning disability and Mental health for the University of Wolverhampton for Thursday 29th November 2022, 1.30pm – 3.00pm for the Paramedic students.  In this handout I am going to talk about what a  learning disability is, when it happens, how it happens, types of disabilities and mental health, what causes them and how they affect lives and how they should be supported.

 

 

This book is a textbook raising awareness of learning disability, mental health, other problem, and an autobiography about my life all in one.  Since 2015, six years ago I have been a Visiting Lecture for the University of Wolverhampton. I am also an Advocate,  trainee Counselling not a professional, Mentor and Learning disability and mental health awareness trainer.

I speak up for the rights of disability and mental health, work one to one with people who face disability, mental health other problems privately such as listening to things they say which may be emotional problems, mental health, and other issues etc, which if I may not be able to help with, I may find help for them whether it is people I work with, other people, places etc. Such as looking online for help etc.  

I face disabilities, mental health, and other problems myself.

I also raise disability, mental health, and all problems awareness to those who are involved in the lives of people who face disabilities, mental health, and other problems. Such as parents, carers, support workers, social workers, professionals, doctors, nurses, friends, family etc.

For example, Health care students at the University of Wolverhampton

 

The school Of Nursing at the University of Wolverhampton

Healthcare professionals at New Cross Hospital, Wolverhampton

I used to be part of a Self – Advocacy group funded by Royal Wolverhampton Mencap, where I spoke up with people with disabilities for people with disabilities.

 

I have first-hand experience of learning disability and mental health as I face it myself, which you will read in this autobiography. Between 2009 and 2010, I shared a small enterprise with someone with a learning disability supported by what was Royal Wolverhampton Mencap and  Employment Pathways, which only lasted twenty months till sadly we had to put it to a close due to funding having ran out, it was called Access All Areas Now, we only did four sessions which only earned us £80.00. Our aims were to train disability and mental health services around learning disability and mental health awareness.

In May 2011, Royal Wolverhampton Mencap sadly finished due to the government having the funding. However,’ as negative as this was it has given me some positive experience even though it may be not a lot.

I will always make learning disability and mental health on the agenda. Back 2008, I supported Our Shout, which was our Self – Advocacy group to write and Co – produce a play highlighting the difficulties people with disability and mental health face trying to access employment. In 2009, I went on a script and screen course to try and improve my writing, I helped Mencap create a Disabled Writer’s group and for fifteen-year, back 2007 when I started working for Mencap, my Mum and

 

 

 

Sister and Mum helped me create my website called Sara Revealed. The website address is at the start of this chapter.

 

 

 

 

 

 

CHAPTER TWO WRITE IDEA FOR SARA

I am also an unpublished poet and writer, although I have had one each of eleven poems in eleven books. I have been writing website for fifteen years since 2007, with my poems, short stories, my life, and career. I also, wrote a piece of writing called ‘Write idea for Sara’ in the Compton Hospice newsletter back in 1996 when I was twenty – six, twenty years old. At time I was doing work experience for Compton Hospice on an Adult Training Scheme.

It is hard to have the right idea for a writing idea.

I'd like to think things have come a long way in my career since the mid-90s, but I will be honest to say I can't say that I have hit all my goals to be what I have always wanted to be from when I was young. Still, I am grateful for what I have achieved over the years. All this boils down to getting the right help which I have some areas not all.

I'm now 53 years old. I have to say like everyone I am not getting younger, and no one is. Despite that, if I don't achieve everything wanted to, as long as I am on this planet, even if it earns me very little or no money, fame, or no fame, etc, I may not be physically fit, but I am not someone who does nothing at all. Even at home, I have at least got a project on the go even if it's off my own bat.

Like it has for everyone covid has been tough, but I guess we have learned some things in ways we may not have if Covid and lockdown hadn't happened. For eg, I wouldn't have experienced working volunteer from home. I have achieved two Qualifications Counselling and Mental health awareness level 1 back to working for the Beacon centre but from home and this is a very different role to what it was back in the mid to late 90s, that was basic Admin at that time this is for Beacon Befriending service, phoning people up who are facing emotional problems, lacking friendships, etc. Hopefully after facing my own issues and having had a break - down I can do my best to help others face if not the same but similar to what I did.

In case you cannot see what the report above is about, what it was at the time I was doing work experience at the Compton hospice shop, making staff drinks, and tidying up the shop. 

I was 26 years old at the time in 1996, and Compton hospice was not much ideal career, but they helped me with little bits of what I was aiming to do along the way by helping me to write this report above. They also, helped me build my confidence. 

As for writing a year have that report was written in 1996, a for a year I faced a Mental - break down in October 1996 break - down but that wasn't anything to do with Compton hospice but so many months after I discovered writing poetry. 

I stopped on Compton, I think only so many months after my adult training schemes had finished, and moved on to placements like the Motions, Beacon centre for the Blind, etc.

Little did I realize then I was going to racing Learning disability and mental health awareness so many years later.

 

 

IN A DREAM WORLD.. 7

I started writing when I was recovering from Cancer of the throat in 1993, I was at my grandmother’s house watching the ten-o clock news with Trever Mcdould reporting the council Elderly and Disabled homes closing down.

I was messing around with my pen, bored out my mind and wondering what to do at the time.

Suddenly, I thought about Charles Dickens on how he wrote about orphans.

I wanted to write about animals, people, care etc, I felt very strongly about the subject and still do but not had much luck on achieving on what I wanted to and trying to get ideas for stories.

I was hoping to interduce myself as a person as well as a writer of past, future, and present of learning disability and mental health.

 

My disability has always affected my road sense. I have improved to what I used to be, but I still get nervous on busy main roads. I have never been able to ride a bike or drive a car and that will never happen. I can travel by airplanes, coaches, buses, trains, trams, cars, etc. My disability affects my reflexes, I can’t carry two cups of hot drinks in at once. I can only carry one cup at a time. I have to use my right hand because my left handshakes more than my right. I can’t grip very well with my left hand; it shakes and slips, which was the tablets I was on for Epilepsy, which made me depressed and Anxious. Now I would say only for about a year or two, my family has discovered that I could be dyspraxia, which to do with my hands and even balance. For e.g., banging into things and people, like I have said with grip, shakes of the hands, and coronation where you only do one thing at a time, whether it's with your mind or your body. I can be very clumsy at times. I haven't gotten around to being diagnosed yet. I've had this problem all my life, no one knew until about a year ago that I could have dyspraxia.

It shows how much awareness there was twenty-thirty years ago, which is non. Still better late than never but like I say I need to be diagnosed yet. At the end of the day education is slower than I am, why does it take years to find things out? Still, we can find everything out at once, that's too much to ask. If you or someone you know are the same as me in any way, please drop me an email at sarajgorman@gmail.com I will be very interested to hear your story about your disability how you cope with it, whoever you are and whatever age you are.

 

 HOW DISABILITIES AFFECT LIVES.

 

My disability did affect me a lot as a child. I have come a long way; I still have a long way to go. I have always been slow with education and everyday skills. It was when I left school, I started to learn how to be independent. Having been bullied at school, I changed schools a lot, but I was still bullied a lot. I’m now very happy to say that I haven’t been bullied during my college days so far. If anything, I have learned more and more easily since I left school than when I was there. My Auntie’s son Luke taught me how to tie my shoelaces when I was twenty years old, he was only ten. I felt like such a fool. It was as if I was a child that was staying a child. Now I have achieved more skills since then I am slowly starting to feel like an adult. I am very grateful to Luke, still better late than never. I used to feel ashamed; these kinds of problems encouraged bulling in school. They never understood why I found things harder than most children, well it felt that way to me at the time. Maybe they were the ones with the problems not just me, otherwise why did we go to special schools? 2



CAUSES OF DISABILITIES.

It's not easy being understood as a person with learning difficulties.

 A learning disability is an injury, damage, accident, illness, etc, before, during, or after birth in the body or and brain. Before birth any birth can mean any time after birth whether is a day after or years after etc, it could be to do with the mother’s health as well as the baby's health, which more so than not links to mental illness too. More so frustrating for the person because they are on the whole having to ask for support more than other people.

 I was born very quickly which caused a lack of oxygen to the brain. My Mum was neglected at birth. I was hyperactive and I had epilepsy until I was twelve years old. Twenty years later my fits came back at the age of thirty-one. Thirty years ago, we didn't have a lot of help for disabilities. It's still not good today but better than it used to be. I believe we still have a long way to go but we always will do. We can't expect a perfect world. My family tried to fight for my rights, they thought I should have them as a baby and child, but it was so much more difficult 53 years ago and more. Disabilities were not understood as much as they are today. Sometimes we thought that many people didn't want to know, but now I think it's about time, we learned from the past to hopefully try to bring a bright future for people with learning disabilities. Soon I am hoping to do some voluntary work at Mencap to help others overcome the difficulties that I have faced. In the following pages I.

hope to explain more about the difficulties myself and my family faced whilst I was growing up.

 

I have never been very good with directions, but I am better than I used to be. I will always have the disability I have always had but I make progress each day, which makes me better than I used to be. I used to get angry and upset when not able to do things. Now I can accept the things I can’t do because there have been so many skills, I have learned in the last ten years and maybe slightly more. I accept that there’s no way I would be able to have children and drive a car. I think today’s society has made me accept that. It’s an unsafe world to bring children and there is too much traffic on the roads today. At the end of the day, there are still quite a lot of skills that I could have a chance to achieve in the long-term future. What skills, who knows!
I didn't cope like most children, I felt as if they were having a better time than I was. I don’t think now that was the case. I may have egged them on to bully me without realizing what I had done was wrong. I could not communicate with anyone, not even myself, they didn't understand me either. I wasn’t coping by playing games or reading books. Now I understand things better than I used to. I think I still find games hard to understand though.
I can just about cope with my own flat, I have all kinds of friends, I travel independently, and I do my own shopping. I am attending college, doing English, creative writing, and a computer course. I like drawing and painting. I am hoping to get some training for work so hopefully, with the right help, I could become a writer. I am a lot happier and less frustrated compared to how I used to feel.

 Introduction to Mental health.

Mental health is part of us just like physical when things are good but if things are bad for us a lot, which gives us bad mental health, which can increase mental illness. We tend to react to life differently from how we would normally. Really, we need to take care of mental health as much as we do with physical health but for those of us who face is easy said than done. I don’t know anything,  any more than anyone but even though it is hard, it makes sense why there can be a misunderstanding between those who face mental illness and professions.

This is not to try and scar anyone, sorry if it does but mental illness can be unknown. Please do not worry when I say this, it is not the person’s fault or yours, but anything is possible.  However,’ you are seriously doing an amazing job, you can only do your best and I am not just saying it.  Just that no matter what, mental illness can drain a person at any time. All the same, suggest positive coping skills, it is something for them to bear in mind even if, they don’t consider them straight away or not at all, even some people tend to find their own coping skills, where they don’t always realize that are making effect to help themselves, whereas some don’t but they shouldn’t blame you either, which I guess is easy said than done, when you come across so many people in this field, where like I said a while ago, it’s not always easy for sure to know how much with what you work with is and isn’t mental health, which we don’t always know one way or the other. When I faced counseling for the first time twenty–five years ago, I was given no coping skills whatsoever, the counselor was just listening to what my situation was to what I remember. Completely by accident, I discovered poetry, as a student, I was inspired by John Keats, which inspired me to write my own because he was writing about similar to what I was facing at the time.

 It is hard to know what was facing at the time, very negative but very strange time. I must admit, I always considered at the point in my life I had a nervous break but whether I did or not, I have to be honest when I think about it now, I am not sure. I guess this is because it was twenty years and the fact, and I am naturally not in the state of mind I was then.

No matter how hard I tried to not react as I did, it took ages, maybe even a number of years to snap out of it. When my ex-partner went off with someone else, at the time it just turned my world upside down, I think nothing of it now of course. I don’t think I can even explain anymore like I probably could have at the time, where now I wouldn’t give him the time of day.

The only way I can explain is at no one and nothing else mattered other than him. Everyone could see what was happening other than myself and yet he cheated but I was dam fool to be still in love with him, at that point I admit, I would have had him back if he would have changed his mind. In fact, I had him back four years later, then it lasted seven years till he did again, the second time though I was slightly stronger, then he tried to get me back another few years but that was it, I had enough, and the answer is no, and it still is.

Example

What it may be. Mental illness is such mental illnesses as Anxiety, Depression, etc, which affect the emotions of how the person feels, thinks behaves, etc even more so, whatever mental illness they may face is likely to be more sensitive to the situation than what other people maybe. Where it drives them to behave in ways others may not accept or understand for eg, self-harm, thoughts of suicide, a lot of alcohol, a lot of drugs, etc.

 

 

Reasons could be emotional reasons for example relationships, friendships, family full outs, break ups, deaths, money, housing, stress, loneliness, etc, or no reason at all. This is where a person can feel negative at any time, how it affects the person can vary to the person and why. For eg, no reason could be the mental illness it’s self-making the person feel very unhappy, angry, stressed, etc, if there is a reason may depend on what that reason is and the person themselves, etc.  

Learning disabilities and difficulties can slow people in a lot if not more ways than other people. This could affect home skills, and health for eg, speaking to professionals, getting to appointments, education, employment, social lives, and more but different people in different ways, which may depend on the disabilities, mental health, and the people who you support.

People with disabilities and mental illness have strengths and weaknesses but there are most limits to what can do and how long etc. For eg, with the benefits we are on if we are lucky to do some work there are limits to the number of hours we can work and

 the money we can earn.

Mental health is emotional well-being, how to cope with the way life treats us whether it is some from years, today or whenever it was whether it is but if the person faces too many negatives, it becomes Mental illness.

 Mental illness is feelings and thoughts about life around us, which affects we also react, interact even, and the way we behave.

 

Mental health is emotional well-being to how we think, feel, behave, react, and interact. Mental health problem is the situation, the problem the person is facing whether it is money, the relationship breaks up, deaths of people they know, etc. For many of us, this is hard to understand even for those who go through it, believe it or not, it is even possible to feel negative for no reason at all, which really when it comes to the cause is Mental illness the person's faces, which in some cases if it's anything could be down to loneliness, doing things too much, not doing things enough, such as sleep, eating, etc or it could no reason all. Many would say snap out of it, this is not easy for everyone, and is not someone else place to tell someone to do that, this is something they work on in their own, time but ask for help if or when they choose to.  However, there is no wrong in trying to offer the person positives such as asking them what they enjoy, which may be hobbies, careers, study, favourite music, band film, etc, no matter why they may be feeling negative, may work for some not others, depending on them, the situation, etc. Only cause it may not work for them, doesn't mean you have failed, they just may find their own way of coping, etc, the best is all you do. My advice is,  what do with my clients, often, raise awareness, suggest things, etc;  but don't do anything unless they ask.  

 

You can advise someone to do something or and not to, but you cannot them to do and don't do something. Motivation is a hard thing and yet from my experience, what professionals were saying to me, I admit it is, comment sense but most things are easy said than done, if you are the person facing the problem, therefore never tell someone to stop or start doing something, which is likely makes them stressed, do it or don't do it more. Not the case in everything but most things are hard to take on board if no one came up with it in their childhood etc.   Try to show empathy by taking an interest in finding out what the person enjoys, whether it is not only to help their mental health but to help their hobbies, education, career, etc. The idea of trying to support someone with mental illness is to try and bring positive lives, where the choices are theirs, not yours, bring in what they enjoy for them is bringing in more negative when we should be here to try and help them to see positive, what makes them happy.


They may someone may advise them to get support, could be getting in touch with a mental health charity or service, etc. Mental health - NHS (www.nhs.uk) Mental health is not an easy subject, it's always best to let a person know you are looking out for them, you hear to talk to if they want to talk, don't them to talk or some people may not want to put on other people whether they know them or, which can be very concerning, where what is bothering them could increase, etc, then no one should force them to talk either. What is concerning is for whatever reason of their own, most people struggle to open up for whatever reason, they may choose to talk to someone they know, or don't know, and it can be concerning whether or not they talk to anyone.  It is hard to know what people are thinking and feeling, even if they seem happy etc. Concerning thing is as well we never know with some people for those mainly who seem to feel okay but doesn't necessarily mean to say that they are okay, which is not easy to know when to say anything or when not to, in case we make things worse, we only know if they say but they shouldn't be forced to either.  About mental health problems | Mental Health Foundation

 

No comments: