Monday 28 August 2023

Joanne’s point of view

Dan was an only child, no brothers and sisters but my brother Jack and sister Lucy were grown up by the time I was at Seniors. Dan’s Dad was heavy drinker who drank the money and not a very nice man either Dan’s Mum had to work very long hours in a sewing factory to make ends meet. His Dad was a press Operator at a food factory. Mandy and Earn were there names. They both smoked Woodbines. My Dad, died when my mum Lin was carry me, my brother and sister were just getting close to leaving school, now they are in their seventies and I’m fifty. My Mum lived to be eighty and my Dad was forty. As our years in Senior school went on, we were two teenagers in love back in the 1960s. Every spring and summer me and Dan would spend time together in Saint James park. Having picnics and even playing in the park like wild kids, which we were but old enough to know better, every Saturday afternoon. One Saturday afternoon, we were in our normal sun braving spot, which was private but not too shady. What we didn’t realize for a while that Lee, was doing just what he wanted to achieve, the cheeky devil, which we never knew he wanted to do such a thing at that, even though we knew he did things up to no good in other ways. Honestly I had no idea he was so jealous neither did Dan. Me and Dan were chatting away as I was suddenly awake of someone up in the tree with a pair of binoculars. I had no idea who it was neither did Dan, until we heard the sound of Lee’s laugh. Soon as I realized it was him, I put on blue tee shirt over my pink binik pretty quick. “ My word, who is that on the tree, Dan”? “Where, Joanne”? “Right in front of us, Dan”. Lee laughed, “Oh my goodness, Joanne, it is Lee spying on here, what cheeky devil”! As climbed down the tree soon he realized he was caught. Dan was going to speak to him but he soon ran off soon as he heard Dan and Joanne speak. This time Lee didn’t even inform Mr Johns about the bird project, little did me or Dan realized, Lee a a picture of me in the picnic sport. As me and Dan were busy chatting and there was a lot of noise around in the background people chatting. We didn’t even hear the flash of his camera. On another Morning,Lee had the nerve to tell Mr Johns, about his event to Saint James park on that Saturday afternoon, he showed Mr Johns a photograph. “ Here is a pink tit bird, sir”. Even then myself and Dan didn’t give it a single thought. Suddenly, Mr John said. “ Joanne, can I have a word in private, please”? As we stood outside the classroom. “Do you know Lee, took this picture of you”. I looked, I had no ideas, I couldn’t he’d do such thing and felt so embarrassed, mainly the fact he showed, Mr Johns, how disrespectful, him taking a picture of me in a pink blini. “Just a word of advice, young lady, no business of mine what you do at weekends but public places are not ideal for floating about a bindi”. “Yes sir, sorry sir”. “No problem, just thinking about you, that’s all”. As we returned back inside class, Mr Johns said. “ Deans, detention and lines tonight”. “No Sir, Why Sir”. “Yes, Deans, you know very well why”. As Lee pulled a face, he acted very spoiled. During that detention, Lee had a warning from Mr Johns, that he would be expelled if he behaved in such a way again, which didn’t seem to bother him at the time. I’m not saying I was a good girl but I wonder what Lee grew up to be. Not that I should but I have no clue how he did in his exams. On the Friday of that week, when I came into school, Dan wasn’t in school, he had a twenty - four hour bug. He wasn’t sure but he thought the steak and kidney pie the night before at the chip shop caused it. Therefore Lee thought it was his birthday with Dan not there. There lies he was coming out with were so unreal. I knew they weren’t true. He doesn’t fancy me, he just wants what Dan has got. He asked me to meeting him at the end to come and plus he said he saw Dan kissing my best friend Jane Mills. Was it true or not? Yet to continue.

No comments: