Wednesday 30 August 2023

Lilly’s point of view

Lilly Lewis’s story. I started my life journey when I was born in over Penzance Cornwall in 1918. My parents and Mum’s sister Aunty Mary and her husband Uncle Bill moved to Yorkshire.I was twelve when my parents Mavis and Robert Lewis died only in their early thirties in horse and carriage accidents. Uncle Bill died of a heart attack forty years after Mum and Dad did. From there I raised my brother Bob and my sister Ellie. We all has to go out to school, work, shop, cook for ourselves, each other’s etc. It was hard work but also good fun being together. We were in and out to orphanage though. I traveled to Harts-head Yorkshire to care for my ill Aunt Mary and help with the domestic side of running a school near where she lives. We spent so much time travel here there and everywhere on the horse and carriage, passing hills and valleys, land beaches etc from Cornwall to Yorkshire. It was such a lovely adventure. It was 1942, I was just having a coffee in a cafe one day. Unexpectedly I got chatting to a handsome young man named Sam Brown. As time went on we started seeing one another more. He was telling me about the army and his life in World War Two. As time went on, we fell in love, married in 1945, just as the war ended. We then moved to our first home in Nottinghamshire, then had our first child Tim in 1947, Caroline in 1950, Katie1954, Hanna in 1960. We had our honeymoon in Country Down, Ireland. Sam knows more about his family before him than I do about mine as my parents died so young but Aunt Mary said my grandma May died after my Mum’s birth and My Grandad died in a mining accident when she was six months pregnant with my mom, that’s much as Aunt Mary knew. The house where my parents raised me, Bob and Ellie when we were babies and young children, it was what was then back to back house. I always remember, Mum always had a tea pot on the table, which was an old wooden table, opening coal fire to cook and keep warm; whistling kettle, pots, pans etc.

No comments: