Sunday 22 November 2020

Empowerment in mental health in poetry.

 We are here for you.

No one is going to force you to talk to us.

No one is forcing you to be quiet either.

We don't want to think of you struggling alone and afraid to ask for help if you feel you want to or and need it. 

We understand trusting people is a very hard thing and when you don't us, it's understandable you don't want to tell anyone anything. 

There is no easy way of saying this and I am with you all the way.

You may think what is she doing typing random things, she knows nothing about me?

Yes, your right but I may not know how you are feeling but I know I have faced mental health issues myself and I know that doesn't make me know everything.

All the same, you don't need to have to cope and alone and struggle, you are not forced to do anything you don't want to do either and I am not saying I am the person to help necessary but plenty of other people, services, charities, etc ofter to too.  

When I had a break down twenty - three years ago I had no idea there was such thing as counselling till someone said when I was at college, there's a counsellor in the college.

My reaction was no, they may think I am crazy, mad etc.

No, they won't they are just trying to help, just suggesting things that's all.

For however long, I thought no way, in time it seemed to me as I feeling I wasn't going to get any better and I thought I will try and I can easily walk away if I don't like it.

Then I was so glad I tried, then unexcepted to me and the councillor even I found myself writing poetry and things were starting to improve slowly. 

However' this is just an example not everything helps for everyone but it might be something different than it was for me. 

People used to say to me time is a good healer, which I never believed at first but then became true even though it took me years to feel myself again but it may some sooner and others longer. 


I never took medication. 

Not saying it was the right or wrong thing to do.

Not saying anyone else should or shouldn't take medication.

I was once advised when I was feeling really down in myself but I decided not to because I feared it may have made worse or and I would end up getting too used to taking them.

I admit I am not pleased with myself that I drank heavily for about twelve months when I had my break down but soon as I was getting counselling and I was writing my poetry I started to cut the drink down a bit. 

I don't believe in judging anyone because I have been there myself.

Never directly tell someone to give up drinking, smoking etc, suggest it if people are going to give them up they will give them up in their own time but supporting them along the way is fine. 


No comments: