Saturday 5 March 2016

Learning disabilities and health problems that make it hard to learn.


These days Dyslexia is getting very common, there's a lot more people with Dyslexia than we realize, people we don't except to have Dyslexia. Even people without disabilities. Dyslexia doesn't make you not clever, you just may be see things the wrong way round and it just causes problems with memory and even keeping up with others. Even people with not so much good but clever jobs have Dyslexia.


 http://www.worcester.ac.uk/student-services/documents/Supporting_students_with_dyslexia_in_practice_2nd_edition.pdf
In fact Dyslexia is a gift in the way of talent but many people face memory problems when dealing with a lot of information, such as writing essays, assignments, reports and etc.
http://www.beingdyslexic.co.uk/pages/information/teenagers-students/study-guides/essay-writing-tips-for-dyslexics.php
https://www.uea.ac.uk/documents/20279/8109676/Supporting+Dyslexic+Students+on+Practice+Placements.pdf/bd84eedd-eed1-43ef-8b17-7c30189c50d1
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/studentservices/documents/unisouthampton-supportingdyslexictraineesandteachers.pdf
http://www.dys-add.com/resources/General/AccommodationsHandout.pdf
https://www.wlv.ac.uk/media/wlv/pdf/SHaW_Special_Needs_Placement_Brochure_ (6) _1.pdf



 What is Dyslexic?

Dyslexia. There are so many debates about Dyslexia whether it is a learning disability or not. Dyslexia is also misunderstood because it's known as a reading and writing disability so people tend to think that people can't read. More often than not we may get letters and numbers the wrong way round. This can work the same with numbers.
My experience of Dyslexia is very often a memory problem for example; I remember getting bus numbers, b and d mixed up for example dog and bog. When looked at my work I could it was wrong. I could see it didn't look right to me. I rubbed it out to put dog, yet I have stories and poems in my mind. I have always been known for missing words out of sentences and numbers back to front 82 becomes 28, yet I have always found maths very hard. Yet getting numbers back to front and bs and ds the right way round doesn't happen as often now, I still miss words out of sentences and get letters in the wrong places even though I know they are in the word. Sometimes I notice my mistakes other times I don't that's why I need a proof reader.

One thing they could have in common with on the bright side is talent but different talents. For eg; one person could be good at drawing and painting, the other person writing such as poetry and short stories or like me both.

For eg; hidden disabilities are mostly misunderstood because no one can see peoples' disabilities or and mental health problems.
When people can walk and talk it's too easy to think they can learn as quickly as you.
Accept anything off anyone, never think that they can learn has quickly as you just because they can walk and talk.

Never think they can cope with their lives like you just because they can walk and talk.

Many peoples' disabilities and health problems haven't been diagnosed because they have lived with it for so long.

For eg; if you are 40 or over it's hard get diagnosed because they didn't diagnosed in the past.

The best time to get diagnosed is a baby or child so people get an understanding of their disabilities and health problems from day one.

1. Misunderstanding misreading what's said and what's written. For eg; Misunderstanding the difference between what is and what is not.

2 The person may find it hard to find the right information to what they are asked to do for eg; example questions finding the right answer from the text in a reading exam.

3. Spelling problems. Not necessary wrong but letters in the wrong places or the wrong way round.

4. Hand writing may be untidy.

5. Dates and time management may be disorganized.

6. The person may need support organizing thoughts.

7. The Person may miss words out of sentences, miss information out of their or and even repeat themselves if they have a lot to write.
8. They could find it hard write in a short way when it comes to essays, reports and etc or not write enough.

9. They could write and even say something too long to something that could be done a short way.

10. Short term memory and lack of contraction.
 People who have their disabilities and health problems after birth should get diagnosed as soon as possible the same as people who have disabilities before and after birth.
Asperser Syndrome is a mild form of Autism for eg; of a hidden disability linked with other disabilities such as Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, Epilepsy, Anxiety, Depression and ADHD.
Most disabilities and health problems affect the way people communicate.
  There are different disabilities and different health problems.
  Disabilities and health problems affect different people in different ways.
  Expect anything from disabilities and health problems.
 For eg; not everyone with the same disability and health problem needs the same help.
   Disabilities and health problems affect the brain, body or and both.
  Society sees people with disabilities and health problems as a Health and Safety hazard. 
  We can't work or think as fast as other people.

I am Dyslexic and the colleges have cut back on funding. I may just about get extra time the example but support with other students there were as before I had one to one with just a support tutor. On top of that now not necessary the fact that it's a higher level qualification English Function Skills Level 2. The ways its worded and everything even the none Dyslexic students are having problems with it. The more the system is clashing, there must be awareness that it causes Dyslexia students a lot of Anxiety and stress because some qualifications you can't necessary walk away from them if you need to for work. It doesn't make you not a keen learner. Today's system is hard anyone to cope but if you has got certain disabilities and health problems it's twice as hard. I am in college tonight. Even I get Support College I am on my own with homework. I am trying to find Dyslexia home work tips online, which some are helpful, others are not and most are very limited.

In 2013 last I started a college course at Old Hall street College Wolverhampton. The course started back about 4 weeks late to what it should have but there was a delay because they were trying to find a tutor.  We should have started back early to mid September but it happened to be early to mid October.

 I made my tutor aware I needed Dyslexia support but it took quite a long to sort out. About a week or two before my Level 1 English Reading exam 2014, I had an assessment, the Dyslexia support tutor said I need 25% of extra timing in the exam which I got. The problem wasn't in the exam it was before the exam when one student kicked off saying he hadn't got any Dyslexia support yet the tutor had said he hadn't even asked for it. Saying that the building where we took exam was like a maze. When I left the building I found it hard to get out of I went through several flights of stairs till I could even ask someone how get out the building, which set of my Anxiety off too cause I panic thinking I wasn't going to get out the building. 


A week or two after the exam I start to get a Dyslexia support tutor to support me with the writing, speaking and listening without knowing whether I have passed the reading or not. It turns out yesterday the 30th April I get the results telling me I have failed the reading yet during the studying before the exam I was getting good marks 83% when they made the print large yet the print was large in the exam. 55% small print in studying.

My awareness is even though I was lucky enough to get some Dyslexia it just came a bit close to the exam. I guess most of it was a bit of my own fault because I should have asked for it before the course started but then I didn't really know what to except till I started my course plus I have had one Dyslexia support assessment in the past which I didn't know till last minute needed to be updated.

 Now there are cuts coming even though they haven't hit some places yet they soon will. S money is getting less and less help is getting slower and slower. I have even notice that a lot of the courses people are having to pay it's not easy for anyone but even harder for people on benefits yet the government on the hand are nagging people to go on course in order for people to get jobs, they can't have it both ways. I agree some courses for work are free but not many. I am not a tight person if I was working earning a good wage I'd be more than happy to pay for my courses. Strangely for what I have seen there are not many work course free despite the government wants as many of us off benefits as possible. All the same the English and Maths are still free.  




No comments: