Thursday 30 July 2020

What is ADHD?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wz7LdLFJVM&fbclid=IwAR2NskWtPhCeAR8eiHLliJFlPncj5m1LrCE6qUFLPyyu88iqJ8h705vHF6Q


ADHD stands for  Atencion deflected hyperactive disorder.  Those of us who face ADHD can be very misunderstood and we find it very to make friends etc. This is very tricky to talk about to be understood of course we are human and we all good and bad in us. I am not saying, everything someone with ADHD we do, say, etc is not done on purpose, however, most things are not. 

Most people think of ADHD as people who have got all the energy in the world which is not necessarily true, although I will say even today there is so much unknown though we know more than we did years ago. I have to say it is even unknown whether or not I have ADHD myself, as a child, I did have more energy than I should but it's also possible this could have been because of the Pheobarotone tablets but also my mind was thinking at the wrong time at night time rather than in the day time when it should have been in school. I had problems with concentration and understanding of what the teachers were teaching, say, etc. Even today if I am honest I can only focus on one thing at a time, even I try to multitask as they say. Depending on what I am doing etc, sometimes it works for me other times it does not. I have to say I cannot say I think about it a lot as it is a problem I have been living with all my life and I am 51 nearly.


I have admitted I have gone from having too much energy as a little one physically to non-today, I do lack exercise and I am ashamed to say but my mind is always thinking. This is where Anxiety is similar and could also be linked with ADHD. 

Here are some signs but bear in mind as years go on most people may overcome most difficulties they may have had years before, I have overcome at least some. If or and when people learn skills, it's not the case in all cases but pretty much people need less or no support when they have learned things but can vary.

  • Short attenstion spam.
  • A lot of mistakes in school, college work, etc.
  • Forgetting and losing things.
  • Difficulty getting everything finished to time without support whether it is education or work.
  • Understanding and remember what's being taught and said, instructions, information, etc, things need to be in easy read and even large print for the person to manage on their own.
  • They likely to stop halfway through a course, job, etc, if it's not accessible or and they are not getting the support they need depending on how much they know about whatever they are doing, etc.
  • Difficulty in getting organized.
  • Difficulty in sitting still, always rocking in a chair, swing round and round, always something their hand, etc, even if they are not physically active. 
  • Difficulty concentrating on too many things at once, although some part of the difficulty it can with people possible to overcome depending on the tasks, skills, etc. 
  • They can talk a lot but again that can overcome in their lifetime probably, with some people it can vary.
  • Unintenstionly coming between people talking.
  • Little or no sense of danger.https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-adhd/symptoms/


The research in ADHD is huge on the internet, which is good but it just goes into everything, that is not a bad thing but just too much information. I can only from my experience. Hear me out on this one, I may be wrong but it is possible I am not and never have been ADHD as such. Although I know this is confusing and not a straight yes and no answer but I did face in childhood some form of Hyperactivity but as I said earlier this site it may have been due to the tables I was taking the time and a year or two after been off those I calmed down physically to a point I had no energy, which is not good either and I have been like that ever since.

 I am not saying there are no positives hyperactivity but for me, there were very few if any. This may well have been because it was not known about not understood and for adults looking after me, it was very stressful and tiring, very little was know either. I didn't feel sleepy or active at the right times when I was. Also, felt emotions, sad, angry, etc with or without a reason where I used to pull a temper paddie at any time. These days I have times of feeling that way but it is more so Anxiety and Depression, it is not nice facing but mostly I can manage it without upsetting others whereas I couldn't have done as a child.

As a child, I could have been swimming two hours or more and still had difficulty sleeping at night for example. I could never manage any other spot due to my Dyspraxia. Dyspraxia was a learning difficulty no one was aware of as well years ago whereas today, it would make me tried. but I do need the exercise. Due to my Dyspraxia there some exercise machines I  wouldn't be safe to use such as in the Gym etc without support but I do have exercise steps I used at home but should use it more than I do. Despite that even when sitting and lying I cannot lye or sit completely still I have to be moving, legs or and arms, something my hands, etc. 

The strange thing is I have always had the differently of doing too many things at once but that has varied throughout my life depending on what I am doing, which could be ADHD or and Dyspraxia, forgetting losing things, etc mainly if I have a lot to think about and be responsible for but again can vary. Another difficulty I face is doing things to a time limit if I am, mostly struggle if I am do not know anything about the task, skill, etc I need support. I can be either too quiet or talk a lot depending on the topic etc. In lectures, I tend to get lost in topics, etc if everything is moving too fast, which I struggle to be in time with the rest of the class which is another reason for my support. Without been intentionally rude, if and when I do have something to say, I find it hard to wait my turn but I try to control that whereas in childhood, etc I couldn't control that and I was misunderstood for been rude.


Moving on I intended this handout to be the positives and negatives of ADHD, I have gone through the negatives but not really the positives. This is in most people's cases can be a link between Adhd, Dyspraxia, Autism, and Anxiety. Creative, full of imagination, etc because we can have overactive minds but in some ways can turn the opposite where you cannot think at all. https://www.autism.org.uk/about/what-is/related-conditions/adhd.aspx



No comments: