Thursday 1 October 2020

Careers for people with Autism, other special needs, disabilities etc.

 


 

Just like you, people with Autism, other special needs, disabilities, etc have strengths and weaknesses. Pretty much what we can and can’t do at home and elsewhere, which may well be the same if not similar in a career.

Over the years I have read hear things about people saying that people with disabilities, Autism, special needs, etc find it hard to learn new skills. In my mind it’s neither true nor not, which I know doesn’t make sense. For me, I discovered skills I didn’t know I had like my writing, poetry, disability, mental health awareness, PowerPoint, mentoring advocacy, etc.


Before I discovered those skills I got misunderstood for not wanting to do anything at all when I was younger, which was fustigating and I would never anyone to face what I faced from the Job Centre let alone anyone who faces disabilities etc. I remember when I was in my twenties the job Centre calling any job out on their computer and me trying to explain why I couldn’t do those job, which can’t remember what jobs they were. They basify said I don’t want to work, which when I think about it now, it is the wrong way to try and support anyone let alone someone the same if not like me. 


What do I see as the right way?  Well it’s not just what I see as the right way but others the same if not much different such as my Mentor and role model who has been around longer than me and she’s faced Autism longer than me. Temple Grandin but some is from my experience as well.

Look at the things people are good and maybe skills that they discovered they have got, which they may not think they had before.

Before you do this, listen to the person, and see what they have to say about their career. Ask them what they have done so far and what they want to do now.

By what you hear, you just may feel you need to tap into the search engine, for example, jobs for people with Autism.

*                   Does anything come up to what the person says they can do, what they want to do and what they enjoy?

*                   At the same time do they say they want to learn or and discover a new skill, which they may not have been aware of they have?

What type of thinkers are they?

 

*                   Visual thinkers, creative, writing, poetry, short stories, art, crafts, drawing, painting, etc.

*                   Abstract thinking, internet, email, search engine, imagine.

*                   Pattern thinker’s maths, science etc.

 

These skills may vary from person some may have a bit each of these skills, some may have some, and others may have just one.  Just a bit advise it may well be worth trying this tip on people with other disabilities or and other problems as well as people with Autism. It’s highly likely it will possibly work for some but not for others. Also, it will be worth using this tip for courses as well.

 


No comments: