Thursday 15 October 2020

Coronavirus lockdown supporting people with disabilities, other problems and other vunable people.

 Normally every October when new students join us at the University, I normally just teach a little bit of the basics of learning disability and mental health. This year just like every other year despite of the lockdown know I don't have to go over the Coranvirus lockdown, even though we were only of the Coranvirus in March this year. However' I feel as if I need to be responsible to bring in supporting vuanble through the lockdown because of facing disabilities and other problems myself and on how the lockdown has changed my life, which makes me wonder how others if not the same but similar to me are coping. We have support needs without the lockdown let alone with.

There are things that affect personal hygiene for most of us, even most of us who have hidden disabilities such as myself.

It can make a difference in other support other ways, mainly our home support but this can vary I guess on the type and amount of support people needs. 

Even for those of us with mild disabilities etc, some help can wait and others can't.

Despite masks etc, I guess services, families, carers, etc are limited how much they can support people depending on their disabilities, etc affect them.

No matter how right or wrong the government rules are there is a huge concern that they have a huge effect on vuanble people's lives. I will admit that it was never much different before the lockdown from saying when the last Tory government was in or the one before. For those who do receive support, I am guessing because the virus rules are even tighter than that could limit a lot of people's support even more so despite masks, washing hands, etc. For me, I just get a very small family support indeed.

My Aunty's friend normal cleans for me once a month like make my bed, cut my nails, and other things I do myself but she is no social worker or carer, she doesn't work for a service or anything. However' the first month or two of the lockdown she wasn't able to come and by the time the council made me aware of any support the lockdown rules eased a bit and she was able to come back. Now I am not sure if the government would change things again or not. https://www.rdash.nhs.uk/support-and-advice/coronavirus-information/coronavirus-british-sign-language-and-easy-read/

Most people if not everyone have seen a difference in their social life since the lockdown started in March though the pubs opened back up in July. Some people may have felt put off going because of the lockdown rules etc. For me, from March to October the only time I have walked out the door is to do food shopping. I didn't step back on a bus till October, took a walk round the town, and felt better for it when I got home. Although I can only stand so long there as when I have had my mask on so long I feel suffocated even though it's to protect others and myself from the virus. Also, sorry to say I find the lockdown rules inaccessible and confusing. 

To be honest I have heard even a lot of people who don't disabilities and other problems find the rules hard to understand and very confusing although are some who them on purpure. The reason why I took until October to go because I was worried about breaking the rules by mistake because I find them hard to understand. In that case, why have I found now the time to slowly start going out? I guess I can't live in fear forever but I will be honest, that strangely once I took that step nothing seemed as back as I thought despite the rules still happening but doesn't excuse the fact they keep changing too quick and confusing us more. This not good for anyone's mental health let alone those faces other problems as well. 

No one knows how long this lockdown and coronavirus is going to last, it is a  barrier for everyone, not just vuanble people. The longer it goes on harder it is going to get. We are all struggling way or another. Going by my own experience as far as confidence-building is concerned, we all take a step forward on our own but have to be honest some never do.

I like you guys have been struggling to get on courses etc online. I will be honest to admit though my internet hasn't too bad through the lockdown I used to face my going down a lot before the lockdown strangely.

 However' I understand it must be hard for those of you who may just have phones as screens aren't that big and these are problems people you may support etc may face. Fingers crossed by the time you train, qualifiable, etc, this virus lockdown may ease at least but it's best to prepare you just in case as people who are more vulnerable tend to be more sensitive.

 Not that it's not the same for other people but vulnerable need more support as well as independence. 

This could be that they lack things such as socializing took away from friends and family by the government other than keeping in touch online.  For I have experienced is there are most vulnerable people but a good many worries for their safety etc as pretty much most IT causes don't teach a lot or even any safety online but there are some that do. 

 support in the home, if study and working online, may make a difference to support they may get in college say or a workplace, etc.

 Such as been advised to have a flu jab although I am going to go for it. would be some people may not like needles, which make cause Anixty levels to go up, Some health services don't really explain what side effects they could get, how long they are likely to last, etc if any. Also, some things not necessarily the flu jab, are not explained in easy read. 


No comments: