Tuesday 30 March 2021

Autism Spectrum awareness interduction

First of all, as you have been aware I have been writing posts on Epilepsy and we all have different awareness days, weeks, months, etc for all disabilities, mental health other problems, which is great because so many people are living with them but they are living them every day of their lives. The reason me writing these posts on my blog is that I feel everyone who faces these disabilities etc has the right to the right support and equal lives as possible to those who don't face them. I have a group on Facebook to give members the chance they wish to.

Secondly, I am sorry if you have read on my blog or anywhere else in the past me writing about this topic before but I try to update it the best I can each year it is an awareness day, month year, etc of whatever it may be. However, I am also aware that there may be new readers too. I gladly welcome all readers.  

Getting to the point of this post in the UK 700.000 people face Autism Spectrum and at least one in ten of these people are children.  It's possible there may be more of us who may be facing it and not even been diagnosed such as myself at 51. You may ask what makes you think you are? Well, my mother and family have thought so for a lot of years to the way I guess I responded to life, the way I behaved probably more so as a child than a teenage and adult year, plus, I have very high anxiety levels, etc, mainly as far as social interaction is concerned. Very often I am unaware of the world around me. 

Before I go any further no more than 1 person with Autism is the same, they can face the condition in different ways, like other people they have different likes, dislikes, different strengths, weaknesses, etc.

In this study, I cannot but bring in the Covid lockdown, which we know has had a huge effect on peoples' lives but without making Autism out to be a center of attention, the Covid lockdown has had a huger effect even though it has been the sake of everyone's health and safety. This is because most peoples' support is likely to have been limited than it was ever but before plus an of people possibly feeling as if they have lost their independence such as either less likely not at all able to see family, friends, going work, college, etc even though it's for everyones' health and safety. Okay, most of us are lucky these days that we can keep in touch online but not everyone is. However' when having Autism you feel as if you have lost your route, confidence with communicating with others, getting around places, etc for the length of time the lockdown has been. On top of that, most people who face Autism face high Anxiety, depression even suicide thoughts level, which is very concerning but they try their best to control. Not saying is in everyone who faces Autism but it's not surprising that Autism is likely to make most of us highly sensitive. 
 
In other words in the paragraph before this, I have tried to explain it's not necessary everyone faces the condition but on the whole Mental health is high faced by Autism and that doesn't mean I am saying those without Autism don't face Mental health. As far as the lockdown is concerned and access things online, just because most people are online doesn't mean they know how to use everything online and as a whole people, myself for one are on there on their own most of the time. Online counseling may be hard for some people to access if they are on their own most of the time, which may have been a struggle for most people but saying that only going by my own experience but I doubt I am alone on that one. 

People with Autism have difficulty with verbal and non - verbal communication, gestures, tone of voice, etc.  Some people with Autism cannot speak or and have a limit of speech but others don't have bad language skills but struggle to under sarcasm, for eg; jokes and tone of voice, etc. They may take things literally, Struggle and need extra time to answer questions, they may repeat what others say. 

Most people with Autism find it hard to understand people in most ways or a lot of ways, which seem intended to a lot of people but most of the time as a whole the person with Autism is unaware of others, feelings, emotions, thoughts, etc. However' for most people with Autism that unawareness doesn't stop but you may find if you somehow get to know one another for years they may slightly improve compared to when you first met them but it doesn't go away completely, this may not be the case with everyone though.  This is what you call social interaction here are some examples of what to expect.

  • appear to be insensitive
  • seek out time alone when overloaded by other people
  • not seek comfort from other people
  • appear to behave 'strangely' or in a way thought to be socially inappropriate
  • find it hard to form friendships







No comments: