Tuesday 30 March 2021

Trying to understand Autism and sensory

 According to an American website, there are two types of sensory, which is which I am trying to find out.  hyper-sensitivities and hypo-sensitivities. Not sure if I am understanding this correctly but hypersensitivities are (over-responsiveness) and hypo - sensitivities are (under-responsiveness) to a wide range of stimuli. Which I am if any I am not sure. Not sure whether it depends on how high Anxiety levels are. Here are some examples. 


More is on this website https://www.autismspeaks.org/sensory-issues
http://www.autismtoolbox.co.uk/sensory-differences

From my experience of having Autism, I am alarmed by busy towns, cities, noise, etc, even long queues of people, etc, and lack of sense of direction, which I can easily get lost. It can take me a long time to learn how to find places etc but once I know, I rarely forget on the whole unless I haven't been there for a long time depending on where, etc.  

It's understandable how it is hard for people without Autism to understand sensory issues. However' no one with Autism can the way they are either. In this post, I feel it's my job to advise people without Autism how to support people with. Sorry everyone with Autism may well face sensory in a different way, that's no one's fault but sadly the way it is but then a boring world if we were all the same. However, it may be that sensory has its positives as well as negatives, this is because sensory can vary to the person's likes and dislikes as strange as it may sound.  

Vision some people with Autism have a good eye for detail such as patterns and colors that others may not see.

When it comes to hearing most people with Autism find high pitch sounds painful for their ears. Even a low hums of electrical equipment that most non-Autism people may not be aware of letting alone may not hear.  Others may like music very loud and others may enjoy loud banging. 


People with Autism find it hard to cope with strong smells, for example, perfume and deodorant, public toilets, restaurants, etc. 

Most people with Autism don't like touch, this could be fabrics or labels in clothes or wearing heavy tight clothes. Likes could be the feel of certain textures etc of things, which could vary to like or dislike in different people. 

Balance 
Difficulties with these senses may cause people with autism to be clumsy or to do a lot of rocking, flapping, and jumping in order to be aware of where they are in space. 



 


No comments: