Sunday 28 March 2021

Living with Epliespy 2

 

How medications have been known to affect lives. 

As I said in my last post I was on one medication through my childhood and have been on a very few in different times in my life where the medication affected my life learning, getting around, etc. I and my family thought it was just me and my disabilities until a few years after I came off these medications, which were Pheobarotone and maybe even tegrtrol. I have heard that Pheobartone has been taken off the market but it is listed in an old Epliespy book of mine.

Getting to the point of this post, I have no idea whether or not other people have faced the same or similar situations as me. Whichever no one deserves to have their lives affected by anything, it's enough having them affected by disabilities, mental health, and other problems, that no one can do anything about other than treatment or and support, etc depending on what it may be and the person, their whereabouts, etc.

 Medications it should be possible for professionals to look into because a human being has the right to be to enjoy learning, get about see their friends as independent as possible from say the age of 10 with less support from an adult as possible and know their whereabouts safety, etc. I understand not everything is possible for everyone and I will say things have come quite a way compare to when I was in school and when I left. I will be honest I am out of track with what's there for younger people but I guess could say as many positives for them as possible, please, even those who are special needs, etc cause no one should have to miss out on their career and future. 

It wasn't a huge problem in one way learning what I missed in school during young adulthood but it made it hard for me to be able to get a proper job, now I don't think I will get it because now 51 but  1 never knows, never say. Compared to if I could have achieved a few qualifications in the school, not that would have necessarily made a huge difference but maybe. Despite that, I think I am a successful Visiting Lecture, the voice of disability, mental health, and other problem,  Advocacy skills, and hopefully one day a nonprofessional in Counseling and Mentoring, despite there's very little of it mainly at the moment because of lockdown. That's enough about me, what about you or and those you may support, care for, etc with Epilepsy? 

Everyone knows that Epilepsy can happen to different people at different times. I may be wrong but at least from my experience as understandably everyone who faces Epliespy and seizures hates it. Naturally, I am not alone on the one if I am, just my luck facing what I have faced and that is to my knowledge it is not a straightforward condition probley in some case if or when it keeps coming and going. I understand it is hard for the system to keep up with people's need, support, etc but personally think when the system here's of people facing this it's earlier to keep things the same because it is unknown and no fault of people are facing Epilepsy if their seizures stop and start again and no fault of anyone else. 

Never ban, sack, or turn someone away, etc because they have Epilepsy, learn how to support them to have a good life as possible and keep them safe without also wrapping them in cotton wool and taking them away from enjoying life. Such as a safe enjoyable home, career, social life, etc. https://epilepsysociety.org.uk/work-employment-and-epilepsy

https://www.disability-benefits-help.org/working-ability/epilepsy

https://support.fitforwork.org/app/answers/detail/a_id/286/~/epilepsy-and-work


Safety advise in the home from the NHS. 


At home

Some tips to help you stay safe at home to include:

  • use guards on heaters and radiators to stop you from falling directly on to them
  • install smoke detectors to let you know that food is burning if you sometimes forget what you're doing or have seizures that cause you to lose awareness
  • cover any furniture edges or corners that are sharp or stick out
  • have a shower instead of a bath
  • do not lock the bathroom door
  • place saucepans on the back burners and with the handles turned away from the edge of the cooker

https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/safety

https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/sports-leisure

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/epilepsy-pregnant/#risks-from-epilepsy-medicines

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/epilepsy-pregnant/

Using contraception

If you do not want to get pregnant, it's important to use a reliable form of contraception.

Ask your doctor about the best type of contraception to use, as some AEDs can affect how certain contraceptives work, including the combined contraceptive pill.

Methods of contraception that are not affected by AEDs include the:

It's also a good idea to use a condom as well.

Speak to a GP, a pharmacist, or a family planning clinic if you need emergency contraception. You may need to have an IUD fitted.

Further information

More is on the NHS page. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/epilepsy/living-with/


No comments: