Monday 3 May 2021

Disability, mental health and career awareness

 Before I go on, this website is about all things to do with disability, mental health, and other problems, the people who face them, and those of you who are involved one way or another with a disability, mental health, and other problems. 

Now when it comes to career, I find there is a confusement between careers in supporting people with disabilities, mental health, and other problems or and finding a career for people with disabilities, mental health, and other problems, this in my case anyway because my skills are around learning disability and mental health awareness and I have been offered careers such as support work, which is not for me because I need support with my own needs, etc. 

When it comes to careers for people who face disability, mental health, and other problems, not all that many of us have had propper jobs and I am one of them. I will be honest to say I kept on hoping to a point once I was in my last 40s getting close to 50, realized, it's not going to happen, which the way I see it now a propper job yes would have been great but for what I do, do I still have a career, even though it doesn't happen very often.

 Not being ungrateful for what I have been all the same people with a learning disability, mental health, and problems, all the same, deserve a good start to their career as much as everyone else. Where it didn't go right for me when I was young, I was just given anything to make sure I was doing something, which didn't make me feel good about myself, I left school with nothing to show for myself as it was but that didn't last. At the time though I struggle to not believe in myself and believe there was nothing for me to a point I didn't want to be alive because I felt I had nothing to look forward to but I wouldn't wish it on anyone and I know I wasn't alone even though it felt like it but as I said it didn't last. I left school in March happy to leave school but worried about the future but in a month I achieved my first grade one certificate in Stable management Riding For The Disabled, I was over the moon and caught up other things I missed from there, which is good fine but you are forcing more so getting the right qualifications for what you want to do, then before long your life is running away with you but never mind. Life hasn't been all black and white but one thing is that it's taught me that I want to see that others similar to me don't get the same or similar start as I did, even it didn't last. 

Therefore let's learn from the past to create the future, I cannot speak for others similar to me but for schemes to make sure someone is getting out of bed doesn't work but it is okay if there's something in what the person likes, can learn to do, can do, etc. My problem was in my early years, in school I achieved no exams, I had no CV, etc so it was very hard to move me forward what to do next. 

Therefore it is about what the wants to do and or what the person. When Someone has just left school, I will admit I have no idea how things are now but I have heard people with disabilities, etc have a little bit more support with their education than what they used to. Therefore, if they have achieved things at school may help them create a CV and see where they want to move forward, it may or may not be a very brief start but better than no start at all. If they don't want anything that's going to connect with what they have done at school, ask them what they want to do, then support them to make a start. However saying that, if like me and I guess many of us after leaving we didn't know. This is always a tricky one, possible ideas would be is letting thinking about it for a while, helping them look online, etc. If they have certain disabilities etc, there may be limits for them, all according to their disabilities, etc.

This could mean trying to find understandable employers, support tutors, etc.

Online you could type up for example; careers for people with Autism, depending on the problems they face what they want to do, if not there may be options on there that may help, if not don't worry let them think about this in their own time. If they have achieved things in school it may or may not help them to decide what to do to move forward, if not like it was for me, it can make it tricky. 

Here the jobs for Autism but it may not be right for everyone as this can vary from person to person, there are other things you can look into if it's not within the person's interest, etc. 

  • Animal Science. ...
  • Researcher. ...
  • Accounting. ...
  • Shipping and logistics. ...
  • Art and design. ...
  • Manufacturing. ...
  • Information technology. ...
  • Engineering.

What I have said in the last few paragraphs may not just apply to school leavers, but like me through my lifetime, most people may have seen different employment advisers, careers advisers, etc, different people, services, etc may have different ways of working and support these people, etc, no one's fault, services have to follow laws, etc but not always the case, it just can in some things get a little confusing for these people mainly with their disabilities, etc and if they have been from place to place for a number of years, etc. 



No comments: