Thursday 13 May 2021

Living with Mental health and Mental ill - health

 In past posts, I have written about what and how to except Mental ill-health to affect people but not really their lives really. I can only say how it has been for me and that is not much different from disabilities and other problems. As far as mental - ill-health is concerned is I guess the Anxiety of getting a job, study, benefit form, etc done on time and correctly, which is where I need support as far as making sure work is correct and done in time for the people who need it for. 

Mental ill-health like most disabilities and other problems can affect socializing, how we get along with people, even most problems can affect our personal needs, how we manage at home, in education, and at work. 

This is because some if not most can face Mental ill-health problems affect how we behave and react towards others, where most problems can make us sensitive to even the slightest little thing compared with people who don't face Mental ill - health.

 Motervation, pyscially or and mentally can be a struggle for those facing Mental ill - health in terms of get up and go or and consontraction, route, and change, where people get use to one way of life, it's not impossible struggle to get into another they get into a comfortable zoom easily. 

Each change that happens they get used to whether it's positive or negative and a shock to the system when moving from a situation they are in, into another one.

 For example ; when the pubs closed for lockdown last year, it took me say a week or two to accept that but then in time being at home a lot I used to and struggled to motoravate myself to go up town when lockdown rules eased a bit but I am starting to get used to that once or twice a week. 

All these different signs I have just wrote about go into different problems, not everyone faces every single it can vary from person to person. https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/  https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/tips-for-everyday-living/adhd-and-mental-health/ https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/mental-health https://www.healthline.com/health/adhd/autism-and-adhd

one of the most unaccepted things to put with when living, disabilities, mental health and other problems is sigma and discrimination. Everyone has faults and crosses to bear, disbility, mental health and other problems doesn't help matters and can have a huge affect on people but don't get me wrong those who are supporting them matter too, which even I say not everything should be excused due to disability, mental health and other problems but it should also be considered that it could be. It's just know when, how etc. It is hard to say as things are now because we are not dealing with a person or situation.

 when it comes down to it. This is a hard to talk about because I am not sure whether or not most services are allow to deal with this or not. Mental health for example in most Mental health conditions can have a huge affect on behavior and what's hard is as much on the whole it is down to Mental health a person may behave as they do, it's the person or and people who they are behaving towards matter too, how do we draw a line? This is very hard to know and if you have concerns that it may not be mental health ot beyond it, it maybe needs to raise it to your managers or those high up which their safety and yours matter. 

Getting to the point we are all human and we should have rights but at the same time your rights should matter too as well as your clients. With most people who face disabilities, mental health and other problems either take something said or not as at where they may misunderstand. Now if  a complaint was made against you, you did or didn't mean something in a certain way in a situation.

 For example there's different between saying, you could do this or you have got to do this. As I have said in past posts about suggesting things and leaving down to peoples' choices. Not everyone but some may not fully understand, which why really information those with disability, mental health and other problems should be as clear and accessible to their understanding as possible but it may not be aways possible depending if the company can or not affrond the tools to make it possible, which may mean at the start the session sorry to say you reading the information to see if they are understanding or not, then explaining if not, which may mean power phasing.

 I admit you may well come across the odd person or a few or you may not, those type who just want a big drama so to speaking to purposely try and get you into trouble but I guess it's very rare.You may well get mostly so who struggle and take longer to understand and maybe accept they may have misunderstood some things, if or when it dawn on there, it is a shock to them and they will most likely feel bad and say sorry. 

However' I know may not going to work for everyone and I know it's pain when you need to think how you say things but it may or may not work by trying to save as many misunderstandings as possible when suggesting things, like again for example ; you could try this. Try not to say. You have got to do this, unless it's on say they need to sign paperwork etc. For one thing the person may misunderstand what you really meant. Not saying you would give them the wrong sort suggestions but you get some people and most of them without meaning to could take something literary, do it, it's not necessary wrong but not write for them and if they do report it to your manager etc, it may cause a misunderstanding or even then depends how your manager sees it. 

When it comes to breaking habits etc as much as smoking etc aren't good habits, even those who do know that and not saying they are right in doing so. Not forgetting a lot of us have been there ourselves and stopped too, I know I have. This may not be smoking it could be anything and that person is probely trying and struggling to break it, which some who may not have experience may think it is easy but it is not. There is no easy way for this because some forms of counselloring, mentor etc you are allow to give advice and others you are not and you cannot raise your opinion.

 Most of you may disagree but personally I think it's a good idea, to empower people to be independant not dependant. Never tell someone to stop, give up or cut down something, let them know what's likely to happen if they do or don't, which gives them something to think about. Maybe showing them information, pictures etc, on what could happen if they do or don't do anything, then they can make their own choice.  Also, never ask why they started in the first place.

 Now  not saying there is a reason or excuse but can be mostly the case, which can boil down to stress, emotional problems etc, that can drive people to drink, smoke etc a lot. Never make people ashamed or guilty about it, okay I agree it's nothing to be please of either but if they are coming to you, they are trying see if they can break it or not, however they will if they do.

 If it's is emotional issuses, stress etc, may be I am wrong but I would have thought they would be the first thing to be forus on. Without making them say can and will they tell you what's the matter? There's no easy way of saying this, it doesn't mean I am right or wrong. Like I said forusing them to tell us things is not the answer, you are doing your job, you here to listen, it doesn't mean there should be any guilt, shame or and etc on you or them, only they are or may be struggling to say. The only thing you can do is say I am here for you if you want to talk.

 There's two sides of the coin on this, we need to understand. There could be all sorts of reasons why the person is not saying, as much we as with these services we have to follow privacy, laws, etc. 

Now very often I agree with the governemnet's ways in a lot of things but the privacy parts of counseling, thepy etc I do agree. All the same I think I would have thought, even though we show them the proof of privacy etc, we are strangers to these people, at least at first we are and that doesn't necessary mean they don't trust us, it may mean some people may struggle to say, fear how we may react, all sorts of reasons that we probley cannot even think.

 I know it's easy say but don't alarmed if someone doesn't decide to stop the session at any time, if doesn't mean it's necessary you, your doing your best, just that no easy way to explain other than Mental ill - health can affect people in so many different ways.

 It may not be in the case of every client but I have been a client myself and I have had times I have struggled to guess could say hang in there on one side of me because I was worried I just couldn't express how down I was but on the other side I was say in my mind, no don't drop out Sara, keep going to your session because you could get better in time. Some either choice I made I couldn't rest my mind but the thought and the fear of breaking down inford of someone, a friend, family etc, even though I had no need to fear that but I did some how but I saw all my session through all the same. You must accept those clients are either going to really open to you or they are not. I did but for me, even though it's an counselors job to empower you, which with me they were doing, I still felt as if oddly and don't know why as if I was being depend on them. May be at the this was because at that point 20 odd years ago this help was newhttps://www.hcplive.com/view/the-challenges-consequences-of-stigma-in-mental-illness-patients, as before you were misunderstood, etc, which was what I was used to, which shouldn't have been. 





No comments: