Sunday 9 May 2021

Trying to manage Mental health and Mental - ill health part 2

 Self-confidence, self-esteem, self-awareness, etc is a hard thing when facing Mental illness - health. However, some people may manage it better than others.  In some things, they may be slower to motivate themselves than others and even the smallest little thing to most of us can be an achievement.  Your suggestions as a counselor, therapist, etc could be and in a lot of cases you are right but the person's motivation may be easy said than done. 

Therefore' maybe not the case for everyone but I guess most may be thinking. Yes, you are right but trying to do it is effective. I can fully understand why you may wonder if though you may not be allowed to raise this question or you may. Why is it so hard but facing Mental health myself, I understand the other side of the coin, which is no easy way to explain, which makes no sense. Therefore it makes sense to why you may think Mental ill-health is used as an excuse for everything but strangely no that's not the case.

 There are probley other reasons in different people but for me, I can only speak for myself, but in everyones' well may not everyone but most the Covid lockdown most may well be an excuse but it's not an excuse, people having business, job, changes, losses, working from home, etc, not seeing friends, family, if you are a child being educated at home, etc in the same way as what they used to, etc. Don't get me wrong, some people may like those changes but not all in the sense of working from home say but not losing their job, etc. This has been a big chance and even more so for those who of us face Autism not to say we are the most affected either.  https://www.rethink.org/advice-and-information/about-mental-illness/learn-more-about-symptoms/worried-about-your-mental-health/  https://www.autism.org.uk/ 

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/mental-health-problems-introduction/treatment-options/

Advice on helping your clients to look forward in positive ways. Before I go on, every person you come across is naturally going to be different. It would be boring if everything you faced was the same. Yes, admit that Mental ill-health emotionally can affect people, the way they behave, their emotions, thoughts, thinking, motivation, reaction, interaction even.

I know relaxation, exercise, etc is important and most may find it hard to motivate themselves to that but also chatting to them about the things they enjoy in a sense I feel that it's possible they feel as if they have something to look forward to. 

Remember, the idea of the theory is to empower them to help themselves to get better. I know when I had to cancel for the first time when I faced a Mental break down after Mental abuse, which lasted from October 96 to August 1997, six months of that time was worse if I am honest I am not sure how much and how much wasn't aware of other than thinking about it, I have no idea how I got through day after day, where I had no real strength to help myself even though I was out and about.

 However, when I went on to writing poetry my Counsellor was amazed considering other than talking there was no therapy. I am not bragging, but it may well be that the person may well find their own positive way of helping themselves or they may need a bit of empowerment, whether it is something they enjoy, which quite likely they are going to find it easy to try if they like whatever it may be. 

I agree you cannot force things on people and suggesting things is fine, okay not everything you say isn't necessarily going to please them. This may or may not happen, some people and some people may not, those who may do, there's no need for it. There's no reason why in whatever you do and don't that should have to put up with any abusive behaviour etc as I have said in the last two paragraphs. 

 However' most things I guess when working in Mental - ill-health is down to that but even then there are limits because you are human too and I guess within this field it is hard to know what is down to mental - ill-health or not say it will the case in every one or anyone, you just may get the odd one whose behaviour may be on purpose or and international, which no one should have to accept if you do have any concerns raise them to your manager. 

 Mainly if someone gets abusive etc and anything you suggest to try and help their situation isn't going to help, you cannot please everyone but there's no reason for you to face any negative experiences. However, this is hard to explain because naturally, most cases you deal with are Mental health but even so your safety matters as well as the client but if you are not sure whether or not someone is behaving badly on purpose or due to Mental health this could be something to raise to your manager and it needs to be looked into even if it needs to be raised with someone over your manager say. 






No comments: