Saturday 10 April 2021

Addictions awareness

 I will be honest to say that this a hard topic talks about and I feel I need to be careful how to talk about it because I don't want to judge anyone.  However'' it shouldn't be made to make anyone to feel ashamed or guilty because there's too many a lot of things that can encourage us and no matter how we try to empower ourselves to cut or stop we can never succeed with everyone, which is no one is trying to do. No one is saying it's a good thing either but neither is it shameful. Don't be wrong no is saying everyone has an addiction either.  The most common things the NHS website has come up with such things as gambling, alcohol, nicotine, and the internet. Not in all ways but in another, it would be uncommon more so in the last 13 months nearly with facing the lockdown and having to face being home more and spending a lot of time online because even careers have been online because most workplaces have been closed, etc. Even most people who face addiction, which even does if I am honest some I may even cut down and or stopped without thinking about it, no one is alone so it shouldn't be a sin, even though many of us who face them will admit in many cases they are not right either, in fact, there's no real right and wrong, it is just life around us. We are all human, even counselors, therapists, and other health professionals, and other professionals are too. 

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/addiction-what-is-it/

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/mental-health/addiction/autistic-adults

For me, I used to smoke but I stopped two years ago. I have always been someone who likes my food a lot and I am finding it more so now with being at home all the while through the lockdown. I have no idea about budgeting due to my disabilities etc and I am in fear of spending too much. I open up to say I like to drink but it is;t every night but most nights since the lockdown. 

Like I said in one of my past posts never tell someone to stop or cut down doing something. The person themselves needs to think about why they are needing your help and really do their best to help themselves too. All you can do is try to encourage, empower and suggest things. For example, it comes to referring, website, etc you can only suggest, it is down to the person's choice.  You can say things to them like what are you going to do about it? whatever it may be. Say for example they say I am going to climb a mountain. you cannot say "Don't do that you will fall!" What can say is, "This is likely to happen you do or this likely to happen if you don't. Think of your open and closed questions, statements, etc, which are likely to empower and encourage them to help themselves. 

No comments: