Thursday 29 April 2021

Lockdown, disabilities, mental health and other problems part 1

 How has the lockdown affected people with disabilities, mental health other problems? Really probably no more different to other people other than needing that bit more support what other people would. Even then different people need different types of support and different amounts.  During the lockdown home and personal support in different ways has been the main support. For me personally, which is no one different to a lot of people I guess, changes to personal and family support. For me, only slight changes to be fair as my Mum lives out of the country and I have been able to get to her or her to me but we have kept in touch online and my Aunt lives an hour away from me and her friend does things in the flat cannot do once a month. I back to going to town to shop now lockdown is lifting whereas before Mum was ordering shopping online. 

Don't mean to brag if I sound as I am but just been honest to say that I have lucky in a sense having access to the internet but all the same without my workplace and different places I used to go etc, it has been the same things every day and night, even though it is starting to slowly get a little better now. 

Not sure about anyone else even though there have been reasons, I have found most of the rules have changed too quick or and I just didn't really understand them, which is why the only time really I went out the door was to go to the corner shop whereas now I am trying to get my self out flat once or twice a week even if it's only uptown. 

Just to say this post isn't only about how lockdown has affected lives for people with disabilities, mental health, and other problems but everyone, which I know is hard for everyone to know but we know even though we may not know what. That there may be risks to job losses, businesses, being distanced away from friends, family, etc. 

Google has said that many children and young people have felt lonely and bored, without face-to-face contact not able to see family and friends, etc. This is likely to have caused the behavior problems etc, even though there is the internet etc, parents are likely to worry about the safety, etc, even more so for children and young people who face disabilities, mental health, and or, other problems. https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/publications/impacts-lockdown-mental-health-children-and-young-people

Have, to be honest, I have a confession to make I should have said this a lot sooner sorry. Mental health can hit different people from different walks of life those with and without disabilities, mental health, and other problems. No one is forced to say anything and no one is forced to not say anything completely your choice. All the same, remember no one has to be alone. Even if you not writing comments on this website, which I don't accept unless you choose to, remember if needs be for those who feel they need it, there is help out there, even though it's not promised it's helpful for most people but it may be helpful for some of you. No one is forced to do what they don't want but for those who are struggling etc, you don't have to feel and be alone. 

I understand what it is like to have nothing or too much going on in our lives and with how lockdown has been and to a point still is, still, not a lot is done face to face. I understand that to some but most people and I are one of you with most things, which doing things online can be a challenge such as courses, shopping, etc. https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/coronavirus/student-mental-health-during-coronavirus/  https://youngminds.org.uk/about-us/reports/coronavirus-impact-on-young-people-with-mental-health-needs/

Despite me writing these lectures on this website doesn't mean I don't have concerns about how life is for you and has been for through the lockdown before, during, and now. Though out the lockdown no really has had no choice but to do most things online, which doesn't seem to be a problem as such but a challenge without support, which is hard when you can't a lot of face to face, although some things maybe share my screen etc for example it may not help everyone. We would all crack if we did nothing for a long period of time but I guess to have loaded with not a lot of possible support. However' whether it's your work, college, etc, how much can your college, university, workplace, etc can give you online? I understand it may not be a challenge everyone is faces but probley most. I know the feeling from having been special needs student before lockdown, some courses I have had support, others not, and others not enough, and trying to get done what needs to be done correctly on time is a challenge. Even more so in lockdown, it can be hard to remember you have support behind you even if you have because at home there's just you and your device, etc. https://freshstudentliving.co.uk/2020/04/01/university-student-mental-health-uk/


No comments: