Wednesday 28 April 2021

Lockdown, learning disability, mental health and other problems

 I understand each and every one of us don't need to remind about the lockdown where everyones' life has changed one way or another on the whole in different ways. Hate to bring in negative but we know that the last thirteen months and over, we know it's something we cannot avoid whoever we are and whatever our lives were and are not. I will admit for most of us, it has its positive too but as a whole even for those who haven't lost jobs, businesses, etc, there still may change in negative ways compare to how things were before lockdown, I am not stating the fact there may be some positives for some people too. 

All this is a challenge for everyone to what we have been used to before. It's not only job and business losses but having been socially distant from friends, family, even children, parents, partners, etc, which is concerns to mental health on its own but if you have disabilities, mental health, other problems, even if you help and support off others haven't gone, there are changes to it than what it was before. We know that there are safety concerns with the internet for everyone and even so with vunable people but the advantage is if you know vunable people, if we are honest it the internet make it easy to contact them to see if they are okay. However not everyone is due to safety and some people need some support to use IT and the interest which is not easy when you are limited from supporting people facing, even though in some things there are other ways like sharing your screen for example. 

Even though lockdown rules are starting to relaxing, we still not out of the woods yet like most work placements, etc are not open.

The lockdown I guess has for sure has been a strain on parents, families with children, etc, with schools open and closed, having to home school or and having to work from home or and study themselves, etc. This can be a huge challenge whether you have children with disabilities etc or not. This is because they have been socially distanced from friends etc, there have been no other way for them other than the internet, which can be a good and a bad thing, mainly bad if they come across the people they don't, etc and risks of bullying, etc. 

Just to give an introduction to my life through the lockdown. Not bragging but will admit being rather lucky compared to most although I must say I miss going to the University though they didn't have anything for me very often, which to the last 13 months or so nothing at all. Despite that, I have just been doing nothing like writing posts, on here online workshops, etc. All the same missing people I socialized even worked with etc.

 I will say it was only the first month of the lockdown my Aunty's friend who cleans wasn't allowed to work, this is things I cannot do like change my bed, lightbulbs, etc if needed. If I am honest due to my Autism when the pubs closed when I could go to the university, etc that took a bit of getting used to but I accept it now even though I will be glad to get it back again.

 I have my second vaccine next month so hopefully, life will start to move forward a bit but I understand it is not the same for everyone. I don't think things will be the same again for everyone but I don't think we stay the same forever. 

My concern through the lockdown is if most people didn't face mental health before lockdown, they may be facing during and when life things do start to move forward in concerns of jobs, businesses, etc and even changes in support, etc for careers for people with disabilities, mental health and other problems too. Through the time I was working for Mencap we came across projects where different services etc were facing cutbacks. I even had to ask questions to restaurants in a care home that was closing down, how they were feeling about the home closing and how it was going to change their lives etc, which these examples could be risks in the lockdown too. Back then we were having services like outreach closing by us, which had to find out from people who used them how they felt about the changes. 


No comments: