Monday 19 April 2021

More on ADHD

 In this post, I am going to raise awareness of my own experience and I will be honest to say although through adulthood I admit I have never been active but no more different than I was at school, I struggle with busy classrooms, etc but naturally, adulthood understood the teacher, tutor, etc has more than one person to consider, main in big classes, etc. With some courses over the years, I have had one-to-one support, which has mainly been due to my Dyslexia, which I tend to forget about when asking for support, me being Dyspraxia and possibly ADHD. To be honest think ADHD starts to show in class, struggle to keep up with what's been said, when to ask for help, when to ask a question, in fear of talking over others, etc, which were things I pretty got told off about in school but whereas now I hope I try to be more aware and try to control myself the best I can which is not always easy. I even find this in say meetings, social events, etc, struggle with the balance between the risk of missing out on what's going on and trying not to interrupt others. 

 However' mainly through lockdown etc or spaces of time, I am not in a classroom online or out and about, I tend to forget how I struggle in a classroom because when we think of ( ADHD) we think of people being on the go all the time.  As a child, I had too much engry to none at all as a teenager and adult. How can this be? I don't know why. What I am today you wouldn't believe what I was as a child. 

 When being in class it is a little bit like the difference between say a nurse and patience. Although I am not a professional tutor, teacher, or lecture, I raise awareness of what I face in life with disabilities, etc, not so much for my benefit but for others who face similar and hopefully educate those who support them one way or another to understand them. In fifteen years since I have been an awareness trainer, good, bad, or both when being a student I have felt a bit of difference in myself to when I was a student and not awareness trainer, that difference sitting by a desk listening to someone else take a class to be taking a class is two different things, which surprising considering I am not professional or full time, I still find myself telling myself what I am doing, why, etc. I guess anyone who does some form of teaching no matter what sort etc surely can understand that no matter what levels etc. All the same, don't get me wrong I really enjoy been a Visiting Lecture despite of it only being involvement and not a propper job.  Every so often no matter what courses happen, etc and you on a different side of the desk. Like nurse is out of bed and the patience is in bed.

If I am honest I am not sure the University is aware of me possibly being ADHD or anywhere else I have come across in my adult years because like I said at the start of this post I tend to forget about most of my difficulties etc in the classroom because I struggled worse through childhood but forget I still do now to a point. 

To be fair despite of that, the University is very good in the sense they try to make me aware in plenty of time before I have something going on, where I have about a week or so at the most to set up my PowerPoint, talk, etc, ready for my teaching session. 

I would struggle on jobs where I would need to get certain tasks with a lot of work in done correctly for a certain time, which I would need support. It's like when I am doing course work etc, I have to have a lot of support for that cause there can be a lot of tasks that need to be correct for me to pass and it needs to be done on those things I have always had a lot of support. However, this may depend on the topic and level of qualification, etc. 

Now I feel that's enough about me and on my next post, I will be writing about ways ADHD could be supported for others who may face it, etc. 

No comments: