Saturday 24 April 2021

Up date of when this website started

 

                         



      

Me with my back in about 1976, when I was about 6 nearly 7. 


 

I started writing this website when I was 38 August 2007, just after my late Gran died in the June of that year. 

It's not easy being understood as a person with learning difficulties. I was born very quickly which caused a lack of oxygen to the brain.  I was hyperactive and I had epilepsy until I was twelve years old. Twenty years later my fits came back at the age of thirty-one. Thirty years ago we didn't have a lot of support for disabilities. It's still not good today but better than it used to be. I believe we still have a long way to go but we always will do.

We can't expect a perfect world. My family tried to fight for the rights they thought I should have as a baby and child but it was so much more difficult nearly 52 years ago, disabilities were not as understood as much as they are today. Sometimes we thought that many people didn't want to know, now I think it's about time we learned from the past to hopefully try to bring a bright future to people with learning disabilities. Soon I am hoping to do some voluntary work at Mencap to help others overcome the difficulties that I faced.

In my following pages, I hope to explain more about the difficulties myself and my family have faced whilst I was growing up, which is in the August 2007 post.

The reason for writing this website was because I started raising awareness of learning disability, mental health, and other problems as a public Advocacy worker for Mencap. What doing for Mencap folded due funding due to funding then I moved on to the private Advocacy One Voice Advocacy service, which so many years later that Folded. Way before then I got into Involvement at the University Of Wolverhampton as a Visting Lecture to raise awareness of learning disability, mental health, and other problems to a student learning disability, nurses, social workers, support workers, other professionals in the friend, etc.

 

No comments: