Tuesday 27 April 2021

Learning how support disabilities, mental health and other problems

 People who face disabilities, mental health, and other problems hate depending on others, I do anyway and sadly there are times we no choice in the matter to do so. However, there are support aids, etc but even those who get those can't get them to every area of their life they need them for. Those who support them can only support so much too. This could go from easy read accessible information to say tools to help someone to open bottles jars etc. 

Just too pretty much sorry to say go over some stuff we have gone through on past post but what I haven't really said how we support them. That pretty much depends on the people you are supporting. The last thing you want is to work on hard on something that you think is going to be accessible for people and find out, doesn't work for them. As a teacher, tutor for example you want to know they are understanding and enjoying the learning. The answer to that is finding out from the person themselves, although with some people due to their problems they may struggle to tell you or tell in a way you understand. However, I understand that this isn't always possible but to try and ask those who spend a lot of time with them may know what they do and don't struggle with and how you can make life easy for them. This could be such as parents, families, carers, even support, social workers, and even professionals. However' I know you can only go along with whatever your workplace allows you to due to funding etc. 

In the last post, I went on about people facing such problems as Processing Deficits, as you know other posts Autism, Adhd, and the other problems in the last post, etc.

 When it comes to bust towns, cities, classrooms, meeting rooms, or really anything that has noise and a busy atmosphere. With these problems, I have said at the start of this paragraph most people struggle to forus in a very busy noise atmosphere. Ideally which may or may not possible in your workplace etc, most of these people may well benefit in a quiet room with a one-to-one teacher, lecture, tutor, etc, I know I do really. Another problem they may face is keeping up in a busy classroom with each topic of the course etc at the same time as everyone else.

 They may not forus very well if there are high pitch sounds in the room etc. 

They may be at risk of being well behind to everyone else, which is why the support they need is important.

 In my past, I have faced courses where I haven't completed them due to having support at the start of the course then halfway through they have decided I am on my own if I want to carry on.

 However, as I said in a past post, this can depend on the person, their needs, how the support they need, and the work they do, etc.

 With courses, for example, depending on the type of course, its level, etc,  the interest the person has in it and even what they know and how much, etc. In some cases may be a little easier for them and everyone else to support their learning if they have done even similar things already. Like for example, I did Advocacy, Mentoring, and counseling which I had to have quite a bit of support with.  They are very similar in the sense of helping and supporting, encouraging, empowering people with private issues one to one but the difference is Advocacy is more illegal issues, mentoring is more career, and counseling is more personal. Whereas as during my school years I had handy any support at all and that was down to staff knowing very little about special needs etc. 

No comments: